SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rhome410

Cleaning open burners like cleaning elec coils?

rhome410
16 years ago

I know this subject has been discussed over and over, but I'm having a hard time deciding which camp I'll be in before I might be stuck with the wrong rangetop. I think that the majority of contributors here much prefer cleaning open burners, and their reasoning makes sense, but I'm not quite convinced I'll be one of them. I've only ever had electric ranges, but will have a 48" gas rangetop in the new house.

I've had the coil burners where you can take them out, remove the drip pans, and wipe out the surface underneath, and I've had ceramic tops, which take some effort at times, but give one surface, attached to the range, to clean. Are these fair comparisons to open and sealed gas burners? --Because I hate having to take apart the whole cooktop to clean it under coil burners. Unless you buy new drip pans, after awhile, they never come clean and always look bad...no matter what material they're made of. Black hides some of it, but you can still tell they're not clean any more. I much preferred the ceramic top, which even though it sometimes had some discoloration right around the burners until I got to it with Barkeeper's Friend, it always looked pretty nice. My stainless pans seem to clean up nicely, won't a sealed stainless cooktop be the same?

If my experience with the electric cooktops doesn't relate to what I will find with a gas rangetop, please tell me where I'm wrong in my thinking. This is just the only frame of reference I have. I welcome a correction, because I really want to think this through, thoroughly and accurately.

Thanks!

Comments (7)