SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
radical66

New Noisy Sub-Zero

radical66
13 years ago

I just purchased a new BI-48S sub-zero refrigerator and am very unhappy with the noise. The system runs almost continuously and about 70% of the time I hear a humming noise that really gets on my nerves. A technician came out and didn't find anything abnormal - has anybody else had this problem? Is there anything to do about it?

Comments (28)

• User
    13 years ago

fridges are not silent, they run and make noise, sorry.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Do you think it is normal for the fridge to run 70% of the time, Antss?

I'm not that familiar with SZ, but I don't think my JA runs anywhere near 70% of the time, of course it has that variable speed compressor which is a bit of a problem to tell when it is running.

Gary

• Related Discussions

cleaning new sub zero refrigerator

Q

Comments (3)
    Most of these temporary adhesives, as well as grease, oil, and silicone spray, can be easily removed with automotive body shop type cleaner. DuPont makes a product called Final Kleen that works well. Get it at your friendly automotive parts dealer who supports body shops. kas
    ...See More

New Sub Zero Models

Q

Comments (24)
    our model is the bI36R/s and the bI36F/S We had on order for 8 months the monogram all freezer and fridge but changed when they came out with announcement. We ordered these about 6 weeks ago fully expecting them to come in October. To our surprise they came in early. We are in California and bought them thru Pacific Sales. I love the looks of them! :)
    ...See More

storing brand new appliances in garage with sub zero temperature

Q

Comments (10)
    The more important issue is how many months of warranty will you lose by purchasing early. The warranty begins when your appliances are delivered. As your appliances are sitting in your garage "for a few months", you will lose "a few months" of warranty. If you need a repair 6 months after installation (most problems arise in first year of ownership), and your warranty has expired cause you used up the first 6 months of your warranty during storage, your repair will likely cost you more than any Black Friday savings. People are so sucked in by Black Friday, I don't get it. There will always be another sale. I have not seen that Black Friday sales are any better than Christmas sales, post-Christmas sales, Presidents Day Sales, Spring Sales, 4th of July Sales, and all the other sales that are offered throughout the year. In fact, I suspect that the frantic nature of Black Friday means people hurriedly buy under pressure, and are not getting the best appliance or the best price on that day.
    ...See More

Brand New SubZero 42 Ice Maker Drip

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey I am still interested in your ideas. I just want to add that the service people I've been dealing with are very helpful and are trying their best. The guy I called today got on the phone with SubZero and he's going to replace the unit that regulates water flow from the bottom of the fridge. He says this is the last thing that could be the source of the problem. I hope he is right. If any of you have ever dealt with this problem, I'd love to hear about it.
    ...See More
  • gbsim1
    13 years ago

I agree... even my ancient SZ doesn't "run almost continuously" and while I can hear it, it certainly doesn't have a humming noise that's bothersome.

• applianceguide
    13 years ago

The room I'm sitting in currently has two Sub-Zeros running. I can't hear them at all. If my air-conditioning wasn't running, maybe I would hear them a little.

I would think you've got a problem if your refrigerators are making a noise that seems out-of-the-ordinary. Sometimes people who buy Subzeros for the first time think they are going to be much quieter than their previous Jenn-air or Whirlpool, because of the difference in price. While I doubt they are any quieter, I can tell you from experience they last a LOT longer, and if you bought a newer one with the air scrubber and water filter, you have by far one of the best fridges on the market currently.

My suggestion would be to call the company that you bought it from and ask them about it. If its really bothering you, tell them you want a SubZero rep to come and listen to the unit if possible. You never know. Never hurts to ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Appliance Buyers Guide

• geo91324
    13 years ago

I also have a BI-48 and have been very pleased about how SILENT it is. There is a slight surge after you open either door and the quick-cool circuit kicks in. That only lasts a few seconds. After that I hardly hear it at all. And it is certainly not on 70% of the time.

Have it checked out. If you get no satisfaction from the dealer you bought it from, call the distributor in your region. They are usually very responsive.

• User
    13 years ago

guys - I think we simply an inexperienced SZ use that has unrealistic expectations.

NO fridge is silent, and if it were running 17 hours a day it would most likely through a fault from excess heat. The person's electric bill would also show a pretty big spike.

Now, I don't doubt that the OP hears a noise or that they find the pitch of that noise annoying, everyone is different. But the fact that one hears a noise, or that they find it annoying does not mean that a machine is not running properly.

I think maybe people are falling into the trap of "I read on the internet" before all the facts are in and verified.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

I would think the Op checked how much it ran, before posting that it ran 70% of the time. We keep hearing about how well the SZ's are built, how well they are insulated etc etc. I suppose it could be normal to run that much since it uses two small compressors (trying to make Energy star ratings that match Fridges with a single compressor) and theses compressors have not been updated in years (Like Liebherr and Jenn-air using Variable Speed Compressors)--buttttt still , I think the Fridge has a serious problem it it runs 70% of the time (Why should we doubt what He says Antss?) Sooo those of you that have SZ's how much do they run--that should help the OP, They can also call SZ and ask about how much it runs (Duty Cycle).

Gary

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

I have a commercial (therefore, by definition, noisy) refrigerator, and even it does not run 70% of the time. It kicks on after opening the door to bring the temperature back down, and does a magnificent job of doing so, but noisily. I second the recommendation to call the distributor if your vendor is not giving you satisfaction. SubZero trades on its quietness and energy efficiency. Hold them to their advertising.

• User
    13 years ago

"Why should we doubt what He says Antss"

can you hear yourself ??? 17 HOURS ??? Really ???

1. Because 17 hours a day is not realistic with out something failing in a short span

2. Because how may of you actually stay in one place for 12 hours let alone 17? Are we extrapolating out 42min one hour x 24 to get the 17 hours? Are we sure it ran 42 min. , was off for 18 and then ran 42 min in the next hour too? If it was just plugged in it would naturally run a lot getting down to temp, especially if it were fairly empty but would stabilize. If it really did run that much it'd throw a fault soon.

3. It's just not a very credible statement given the amount of time in a day and how long it would take to actually verify a unit ran that long !

I can't tell you how much mine run, I don't stand around timing them and frankly don't have time to sit around to log some sort of baseline.

SZ's two compressor set is tried and and proven over 40 years, and the fact that they can run 2 and still get energy star qualification is pretty amazing in my book. Is it the newest gee wiz HVAC technology like the JA or the BSH units? Nope. And, while the VS compressor seems to be the way the industry is headed , it has barely a decade old in home units. Additionally there's a camp that feels separating the freezer air from the fridge air (via 2 compressors) has advantages over a single set up with a movable baffle.

"I think the Fridge has a serious problem it it runs 70% of the time"

Agreed, but dodge, why should we doubt what the svc. tech said when he pronounced the OP's unit up to spec??? He saw the unit. He heard the unit. He get to make $$$ if it needs something replaced and SZ is not chintzy about their products or warranty claims.

• dodge59
    13 years ago

I called SZ earlier today. Nice gal answered. I gave her the model number of the Fridge and asked if it is normal for the Fridge to run 70% of the time. She responded that the fridge had 2 compressors and they could run at different times. Being Persistent, I said , That still seems like a lot to me. She said ok, I will get one of our Techs to talk to you. Well I held for aproximately 30 minutes listening to their pre-recorded music and then gave up--Sorry.
    I did download the Op manual for it, hoping to see something in thr trouble shooting area about excessive running. All I found was it said you have to vacuum the Condensors out every 3 to 6 months or the fridge will run more or even sustain damage.
    Maybe The OP will have better luck than I did , in trying to call, or they might try to call an authorized repair shop for SZ--someone there should know what is normal running time and what isn't
    Ayway Good Luck with it!

Gary

• User
    13 years ago

"Well I held for aproximately 30 minutes"

not surprising because there are only one or two at corp. and they have better things to do than talk to non customers about off the wall topics when their main job is to help service techs and dealers in the field with real problems.

Why can't you just accept that the OP could be mistaken on the ACTUAL running time of his/her unit??? It's new, so the coils don't need vacuuming. A tech has already looked at it and found no issues. The OP is new here, has a total of ONE post and has not been heard since. Isn't it possible that they are exaggerating a bit on the run time? Hyperbole? Inexperience? All of this could manifest itself if a person were were upset with their new $10K fridge because their expectations weren't met no matter how reasonable or unreasonable they might be.

Seriously do you know the OP, or have a feel for his/her knowledge or credibility from other posts? Nope. All we have is their statement that the fridge runs 17 hours a day which in and of itself is a bit far fetched.

How many people round here have complained that their Miele DW isn't SILENT, only to be told they are correct, it's not and never will be. " But I thought...." or " I read on the internet" or " Those Miele fanatics over on Garden Web told me they couldn't hear their Miele run"

• dodge59
    13 years ago

Like you, Antss, I try to be helpful, but I guess I'm a little more "Trusting" when I see a post. I give them the "Benefit of the doubt" --unless they prove otherwise.
    You are certainly right about only one post from the OP.

I put the info from the SZ Operator manual about vacuuming the condensor because some folks may not have known that--You know as well as I that many don't bother to read the manual--or even if they did, they might forget about the cleaning? The Operators manual did mention that is normal to hear a "Humming Sound" when the ccompressors are running.

It does look like your original assessment of "The Situation" may be correct---still, don't you think the OP should be able to sort through different posts here and determine the "appropriate" course of action? I'm certainly not 100% correct all the time, Kinda nice to know somebody that is!

I have called Jenn-air, Miele, Elux, when I needed info to give the best possible answer to other OP's questions on GW that's after downloading the OP Manuals, Specs etc etc.
    All these companies have been great in their support so I expected "No difference" from Sub Zero (Silly me).

Anyway we both had the same goal in mind (To provide the Op the best and factual info that we knew or could find)
    You Just "Did That" Sooner!

Best Regards

Gary

• User
    13 years ago

since the OP hasn't been back, I'm concluding they are either a flake, just causing trouble, or realized that the unit doesn't run as much as (s)he though.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

pun intended, but you need to 'chill' a bit, antss.

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Or they succeeded in getting help from Subzero.

• charlottem74_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am having the same problem with my new Whirlpool. The compressor/fan runs 10-15 minutes every 20-25 minutes - regularly. Therefore, it is quiet for about 20 -25 minutes at a time (if I am lucky) and then goes on again - very frustrating. It is noisy but at least no high-pitched sounds.

I, so far, am told it is normal!! At least, the person who sold it to me agrees that it should not be running that often.

This problem was evident from the beginning, but I thought and was told that it would go away after the first day or two. I have had it for a week.

• lauralovitt
    13 years ago

We are having similar problems with our brand new Miele refrigerator. The cooling fan is running constantly. It might shut off for 5 or 10 minutes every hour, if we are lucky. Very unhappy. Originally the unit made a thrumming sound that Miele remedied by replacing the electronics. But the fan still thrums a bit, and the motor is quite loud. So loud that friends comment on it when they come in the house. It's very unpleasant. I am going to the Miele gallery here to see if the unit they have on the showroom floor makes the same noises. Miele is working with us to try and remedy this problem, but we are really bummed out and unhappy. While we love the function and styling of the unit, the sound is unacceptable.

• Lois Hartigan
    8 years ago

I just installed a subzero under counter ice maker yesterday and it is LOUD. it's been running nonstop. I can hear it upstairs, with the door shut through the wall. If this is normal, I may have to get rid of it.

• hvtech42
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Pretty much all standalone icemakers are noisy and run continuously when on. They are water and energy guzzlers as well. IMO for residential it only makes sense to run them during periods that you need lots of ice, like parties and such.

• Lois Hartigan
    8 years ago
    I'm very disappointed and wished that someone had forewarned me. I had no idea it would be this loud.
  • dbabrams
    8 years ago

Icemakers aren't freezers, the ice made continually melts and is refrozen. I've been using a small, portable one while we're waiting for our fridge, it is so noisy I turn it off at night.

• athomesewing
    8 years ago

We have a brand new Suz-Zero 42" BI, and it does not run very often, or if it does I don't notice because it is sooooo quiet that I have rarely heard it ever.

• Lois Hartigan
    8 years ago
    Well my noisy brand new ice maker Is not working anymore. I hit the Delay function yesterday and it never Resumed. We hav called in a ticket. It was very expensive and it better not be a lemon!
  • User
    8 years ago

Lois, you may be in for a long hard road.

Have you been told that those units need cleaning / descaling too ? The procedure is detailed in the manuals , and it's not a five min. wipedown with a sponge or tea towel.

• Lois Hartigan
    8 years ago
    It turns out it was installed wrong. They left too much drain hose and it kinked. The drain pump ran too hot and it shut off. I turned it off as I am out of town, but they did get it running again and it sounded somewhat better. Subzero extended our warranty to 3 years. Time will tell...
  • User
    8 years ago

FWIW to those reading later.-

Machines with the drain pumps are noisier than the gravity drain models.

• Julia Alty
    last year

Hi what was your resolution? We also just got a brand new 18” Column freezer and it runs almost constantly and so very noisy. We’ve had technician out three times. They replaced the control board but nothing changed. We’re really hose to have spent $9K on a freezer that never shuts off. We can even hear it downstairs.