SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maryellenpeace

cost per square foot ? and other ????newbie

maryellenpeace
16 years ago

Hi,

I am a total novice when it comes to building and could use a little clarification.

Im building a garage with an apartment on top in my back yard. I will live in it and then rent out my house. I hope to have two levels for the apartment and approximately 1300 square feet of living space.

the dimensions of the garage might be 22x 34 or 36. I want either a two car with office or three car garage.

I keep reading that an estimate for my area is 100 $ per square foot. Is the cost for the garage portion possibly lower than that????

ALso, does that cost include: slab, floors, faucets, cabinets, the complete finished product??????????

And one more thing. DO you think that 22 square foot width is too small. I could go out more (24) but I dont want to lose too much of my back yard in the building of this project. I notice while looking at plans that 24 seems to be lowest number. I ordered from the library the narrow house plan book but havent picked it up yet

Also how much space is lost to a sloping roof on the second level at those dimensions. I know it depeends on the roof slope but for conversation sake say its an average slope.

OH YA makes me think of another question I have. Is it possible to have a deck or porch on the top/roof level in Milwaukee. Im right next to the river and would love a cool view. Plus some one just built next to me and I lost all of my east view now in my home. I WANT A VIEW BACK!!!!!

Ok i know that is a lot of questions. Even if you have insight to parts of the questions I would great ly appreciate it.

As a single female "educator" I have NO idea about any of these things but I do know I can research them. I wish they taught these things in school!!!!!! WHy dont they teach us these real world things in school????? Ive always wondered that????

any good resource would be appreciated also. I have stacks of books on design already that Ive been browsing through.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY INFO!!!!I need all the help I can get!!!

Comments (19)