SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cs6000

What's your rough cost per square foot estimate?

cs6000
14 years ago

I read this forum a lot, and pick up some good tips. One thing I notice is that there are lots of folks building large, luxury-type homes.

That's fine, I'm not trying to be controversial, but I can see there would be a wide range in costs for these homes. Obviously, location plays a big role also.

I'm acting as my own GC, and am half of the work crew. I''m building a 2000 sf house in rural Oklahoma. I'd figure my cost per square foot should be pretty low in grand scheme of things.

We're almost done now, and I'd guess the whole thing is going to run me about $85 per SF. There's nothing high end about the house. The main thing that has driven the price up would be the fact that the house is an optional two story, that we finished out as only a one story, with a large attic, and lots of wasted space and materials up there. Live and learn, it was the only plan we both liked.

We used 2x6 studs, Huber Zipwall and Ziproof, and Hardieplank. I also had to have a new well, septic, etc with this. Did not include the price of the land, its on a farm we've owned for 10 years.

I'm happy with the cost, was shooting for about $80/sf, but knew I'd go higher. Around here people usually figure $100 sf to build. For an existing home, maybe $75/sf.

When I see the photos some people are posting I just wonder what the cost per SF could be on some of these beautiful homes. Anyone interested in giving an estimate, and your location? Maybe a picture? I'll post one later, if I can figure out how.

Comments (56)