SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnester_gw

double white line and lost screen

17 years ago

Hi all,

I don't know what kind of problem I have; please help me figure it out. For the past couple of weeks, my monitor screen suddenly goes black on the bottom half. At the "horizon" is a double bright-white horizontal line, flickering spasmodically. I can still see the top half of the screen, so I try to close/save whatever I'm doing. Usually, I have to reboot, and then things are fine (for a while). Sometimes, the monitor reverts to normal all by itself, or after I've touched a key (randomly). Sometimes, the white lines only flicker momentarily on the screen (or roll up from the bottom) and then go away. Today, the top third of the screen went black, too, so I could only see the middle.

I've tried to figure out a pattern, but it seems to happen sporadically. Usually, I'm online, but sometimes I'm just working in Word. Once, after I rebooted, it happened before I touched ANYthing! And just now, it happened while the computer was still in the process of booting up.

Recent activity: a warning sometimes appears on the screen saying that virtual memory is low and is being increased. After the problem developed, I ran computer checks and a defragmentation program. The computer and monitor are only 1-1/2 years old. We have an anti-virus program and run checks regularly. Recently we started getting messages that Spyware Doctor is not updating automatically; however, we run spyware checks and find that the problems are minimal; we then delete them. Everything else seems to be running properly.

Please point me in the right direction so that we can find out how to fix this problem. Thanks!

Sue

Comments (5)