SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Oil Rubbed Bronze Steam Shower Hardware - powder coat bad idea?

Wayne Reibold
14 years ago

IÂm trying to choose hardware (hinges, D handle/towel bar combo, brackets or maybe u-channel) for my STEAM shower that is being built, fixtures are Oil Rubbed Bronze. IÂm hearing that some manufacturers make powder coated aluminum for their oil rubbed bronze (Agalite being one of them - IÂm told the powder coating wonÂt hold up over the long run), others anodized bronze, others some other treatment over brass ???

IÂm totally confused. The worst part is the only shade of Oil Rubbed Bronze IÂve seen that reasonably matches the Oil Rubbed Bronze hardware in my bathroom (shower fixtures, door knob, towel hangers, lamps, faucets, etc.) are the powder coated surfaces IÂve seen. Anything other than powder coated IÂve seen essentially looks black itÂs such a very dark bronze that itÂs hard to tell from black and definitely wonÂt match anything I have (IÂve seen CR LaurenceÂs oil rubbed bronze and whatever hardware Holcam uses for their anodized bronze both of which essentially look black).

So can someone illuminate me if using powder coated hinges, brackets (or u-channel) and D handle/towel bar combos is a BAD idea for a steam shower? Or does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes non-powder coated hinges/brackets/u-channel/handles in an Oil Rubbed Bronze that doesnÂt look black?

Thanks in advance!

Comment