SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tired_99

Sensor/calibration problem on new Capital 48?

tired_99
13 years ago

Hi all -

I've had my Capital 48" self clean natural gas installed for about 2 months. I've been trying all different functions and everything was pretty good until I tried to make pizza last Friday.

Put my pizza stone in and turned the big oven up to 500 to preheat. Came back 25 minutes later and it was stone cold!

Dialed back to off and then back up to 500. I stood there and I heard it come on and saw the flame underneath. I also checked all burners. Came back 20 minutes later and only slightly warm - flame was off.

I started messing with the dial, and it seemed that a teeny bit before 500 (like at 485), the dial "snapped past" engaging but didn't quite go to broil. I turned it up to that point (485) and stood there. It cycled on and heated for about 5 minutes, and then the flame went off and it didn't come back on. We ordered take out.

As a general comment, I have noticed that when making baked goods, I have had to add on time to get the result I want in the big oven, but the small oven seems to run really hot.

Monday I called Capital, and a guy I spoke with said it sounded like either a sensor problem or a calibration problem with the knob or both. He said he wanted to ask his "guru" what it sounded like to him, and he would call me back to schedule a service call.

I told him in the meantime I would try to borrow one of those point and shoot thermometers to test the accuracy of the dial vs actual temperature, but I haven't been able to do that.

He never called me back! I'm worried he thinks NJ is too far away to look into this. I am calling again tomorrow to follow up.

Has anyone had this experience with their Capital, or has anyone had this or any experience with Capital's warranty/customer service? I'm a little disappointed with both issues (the oven potentially being "broken" and the CS response).

Thanks!

Tired

Comment (1)