SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ehoops_gw

It's been a while

ehoops
15 years ago

It's been a while since I've checked in. In case you've been around we are the ones in California Bay Area who embarked on the nightmare of tearing our house down and rebuilding, had our contractor walk, the bank didn't fund for over 5 months, and all the while we have been living in a trailer (with 2 kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, 2 geckos and one hamster) for what will be 2 years in August. The good news is we're all still sane (at least I think so), no divorce and the bank finally funded about a month ago and now the house is moving at light speed. The other potential good news is we have one final material sub contractor who wasn't paid by our original contractor (framing materials). They pushed us for payment back in October/November and then they didn't come calling for nearly 7 months. They sent a letter last week. All along we thought they had a done a pre-lien making it possible to lien our property. Now we're not so sure it wasn't just the former contractor telling us that the did the pre-lien to scare us into paying the outstanding balance. What I discovered today after hours of research is that even if they have the all important pre-lien on file with the county, our project sat iddle for over 60 days, which according to California law constitutes "completion". At which time all lien claimants had 90 days in which to file a lien. That time period has expired. So hopefully we're in the clear. I really hope they go after the former contractor hard as he clearly recieved the money to pay them back in June of 07 and didn't. I'll post some updated pictures soon.

Comments (4)