SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
biondanonima_gw

Glass tile accent strip - where and how wide?

biondanonima
16 years ago

First, thanks to everyone who has already given me advice and suggestions with tile - you guys are awesome! Now that I have figured out what tile I'll be using, I need to know where to put it!

I'm using 3x6 white subways for field tile up to wainscot height. A white chair rail cap will take the place of the black cap shown in the photo (the horizontal cap, not the random vertical - that corner will be tiled normally). I'll be using a 3-tile-high accent strip of blue glass mini-subways (1"x2") underneath the cap, then white subways to the wood-look porcelain floor (with cove base). This accent strip will completely encircle the room.

I want to do another accent strip in the shower, though, and I'm not quite sure what to do there. There will be glass shower walls so it will be visible at all times. That area will be tiled to the ceiling. I have considered using a 6-tile-high strip at eye level (dissecting the window), which I'm sure would be nice but maybe too blocky? I could do 2 3-tile-high strips instead...

I've also considered adding a single row of the glass mini-subways near the floor (on top of the cove base or maybe one row up), just to add a little visual interest and color down lower. Anyway, I'm totally open to ideas, so put on your design caps! Thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Comments (19)