SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amritakaur

Need Help Negotiating with Contractor

amritakaur
11 years ago

My contractor is going to start remodeling my one-and-only bathroom on Monday. I'll be providing the tub and toilet, an American Standard Cambridge tub and Cadet 3 toilet. I'll also be providing the floor tile, and probably the tub surround tile as well, since I'm not thrilled with his tile.

His initial verbal estimate was between $2500-3000. When I got the written estimate it was for $3000. I'm starting to notice a few things that concern me:

He'll be covering over the one window in the bathroom because the bathtub will be taking up that wall and has to be tiled to the ceiling. The bid doesn't include a new window, or even a vent.

It doesn't include waterproofing the cement backer board in the tub surround. Is that necessary?

For the floor, I want them to remove the vinyl flooring and particleboard underneath it, and replace with 3/4" plywood and 1/2" cement board before tiling. That's how my late husband did the other floors in the house. Contractor says they'll just put some cement board over the vinyl, then tile over it. I want the floor stronger because a bathtub full of water is a lot heavier than the little shower that's coming out.

So far, this man has been very nice, but I suck at negotiating; I always feel guilty. Is it reasonable to want him to include these things for the $3000? Is it fair to call off the job at the last minute if he won't make concessions?

I haven't signed any papers, so am not legally bound- it's been a verbal understanding that he will do the work. He did put some time in, coming over to talk to my plumber when he was repiping the houst this week, and looking for a bathtub before we settled on the Cambridge. So I feel obligated.

I just don't know how these things are done. Any advice?

Comments (8)