SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arkansasgal

what is standard island height?!? picture

arkansasgal
16 years ago

Hello Everyone!!! After stealing ideas, gaining knowledge and reading other's problems/issue's since December of 06' I FINALLY decide to post my own problem instead of finding someone who has had the same problem and using their solution.

Ok...what is the standard height for an island that will be used as a seating area also with bar stools underneath them?

My cabinet maker originally built the island the same height as the base cabinets/countertops. I lost it, I called my DH and just came unglued thinking I wouldnÂt be able to fit bar stools/chairs underneath and that my idea of having the kids sit there and do home work while I'm cooking dinner is down the drain!! No laughing!! :) After two days if turmoil in my brain, I finally decided to call the cabinet guy and see what could be done. He stated he could just build a cap 4 or 6 inch cap on it and that would resolve the problem. Long story short, the island is now 42 inches tall after he put the cap on it. Well AFTER he put the cap on it my DH decides to tell me that he thinks it closes the kitchen up and it is not as open as before and that it is typical to have an island that is the same height as the countertops and that they DID make stools short enough to accommodate, again AFTER I have had the cabinet gut to put the cap on. Well know it looks a bit high to me and a bit funny.

The island will strictly be used for preparation, homework/study area for kids while I am cooking and during parties an area for snacks. There is not a sink nor a cook top in the island.

What are your thoughts and/or suggestions? Please please please help!! Desperately indecisive...

Comments (23)