SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msl511

Solatube Pricing - A Report

msl511
13 years ago

I asked a question about Solatubes recently and someone asked about pricing, so here's my report, now that I've got a quote. My closest dealer is in Westport CT. I got quotes over the phone for just a kit and for the kit installed. I asked for a 160 DSe (that's the smaller, 10" version and the green one that's eligible for the 30% home energy tax credit - more about that later), a vusion diffuser, an incandescent light add-on and 6' of tubing, which the owner seemed to think was typical for someone in my situation (ranch, plenty of open space in the attic).

The kit alone is $555 and installed is $943. There's a 30% tax credit available on the cost of the kit, but not installation. A couple of things to note about the credit. There's an annual cap of $1500 and if you're doing other things this year that also qualify for the credit, it may not help with the cost of the solatube. Also, the credit is currently disallowed for people paying the AMT. Last year Congress passed a patch allowing the credit for people paying AMT. They haven't done so yet this year, but the year's not over.

When considering your total cost for a Solatube, note that, at least in Connecticut, there's no sales tax on it because it's a solar device.

The not so green, non credit eligible version of the tube only costs about $20 or $25 less and, from what I understand, is only neglibly worse for the environment. The one advantage to it is that if you want to use it with a light add-on and would really prefer an incandescent to a CFL, an incandescent is apparently really better with the not so green version.

So there you have it. Nearly $1K to get some additional sunlight, at least if you're buying it in an expensive CT zipcode.

Wow. I really like natural light, have been looking forward to a solatube in my bathroom and have been reading all the enthusiastic reviews here, but when I put it that way. $1K? That's a lot of money. I bet I could put in a very nice ceiling fixture for a lot less.

Drat.

Comments (10)