SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

History of the Victorian Porch tour

User
16 years ago

This appeared in the newspaper . It gives a brief history .

Victorian Front Porch Tour starts Wednesday

Tamiko Lowery / Opelika-Auburn News

December 2, 2007

ADVERTISEMENT

Santa Claus is coming to a neighborhood near you, a historic neighborhood that is.

In its 15th year, the Victorian Front Porch Tour will showcase Old-World Santas created by artist Jan Jones in Opelikas Northside Historic District.

More than 100 different figurines, stored in the GradyÂs Tire & Auto warehouse, will see the light of day Monday as set-ups takes shape. The finishing touches are added Tuesday just in time for WednesdayÂs tour kickoff, which runs through Dec. 9 with the traditional walking tour at 6 p.m. on Saturday.

"You get a long look at what Opelika used to be; itÂs a way of going back in history with the people, costumes and carriages," said Temple Anderson of GradyÂs Tire & Auto. "It just helps set the mood for the holidays. People come from all around for this event."

Jill Bonneau, coordinator of the Victorian Front Porch Tour, said about 50 to 60 volunteers help make the tour possible. Event sponsors include the City of Opelika, Opelika Rotary Club, Opelika Kiwanis Club and GradyÂs Tire and Auto.

"This is OpelikaÂs premier Christmas event," Bonneau said, adding that when Jan Jones, the tour creator, decided to move, "many, many people made an outcry to the mayor saying, ÂWe cannot have this event end. I think that shows how much people love this event."

Greg Pettey, of the Opelika Rotary Club, said he remembers the tour from his teens and said the Old-World Santas look the same and the choir on the corner still sounds like Christmas.

"I always thought it was a neat thing. My wife (Michelle) is from Mobile, and the tour was a new experience for her; she just loves it," Pettey said. "ItÂs an Opelika tradition. We go every year."

More than 60 turn-of-the century homes will be featured in OpelikaÂs Northside Historic District, where the tour spreads out across 10 city blocks along North Eighth and Ninth Streets between Second Avenue and Seventh Street.

David Jones, president of the Opelika Kiwanis Club, said it was such a blow to lose Jones, but says heÂs glad the tour has continued.

"The tour is done in such a classy way," Jones said. "ItÂs like a throw-back to the old days when carolers sang and people walked the streets. This, to me, is like an old southern celebration of Christmas. The citizenry takes pride in this."

Already featured in Southern Living and Better Homes and Gardens magazines, the tour has since been voted one of the SoutheastÂs top tourism events and is expected to draw more than 10,000 spectators. The walking tour Saturday showcases Victorian garb. Costume coordinator Carole Harrison said borrowed costumes are available for the tour on a first-come, first-serve basis.

"ItÂs special to be involved in something so unique," Harrison said. "As a homeowner, itÂs wonderful to show off our neighborhood and our homes and the pride we have for our community."

Bonneau credits long-time neighborhood liaisons, Rosanne Denson and Debbie Purves, as well as an artistic committee headed by DiAnn Cullinan and the North Opelika Historic Neighborhood Association headed by Roger Bell for helping keep the tour tradition alive.

"IÂve lived in 17 different places in my life and this is the first town I fell in love with," said Bonneau, who moved to the area five years ago. "We must do whatever it takes to keep the tour alive."

Comments (2)

Sponsored
More Discussions