SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jerry_nj

DOS Commands

jerry_nj
14 years ago

I have an old W98 Compaq computer that I want to recover some data from its HDD.

Unfortunately, W98 will not boot, says some files are missing... I don't recall there being a problem a few years back when we migrated off of it... but, seems there was.

I tried the Compaq provided recovery disk but could not get it to recover without a format of the C drive. Not what I need.

So I booted from the A drive, floppy (yes) and the floppy has some system files on it, including "Command.com" a 94K byte file. I was able to get "dir and dir /" to work as does cd, but the old "list" doesn't seem to be here. If I find the files I want using DOS I can copy them out to PS1 jack on the computer, I hope.

Anyone remember what DOS commands I should be able to use from the floppy disc system files?

I am also looking for the driver for an "iomega ZIP" drive, as I have a stack of old ZIP discs that may have the data backed up that I am looking for. Any ideas on getting that driver? I'll look again on the web, but this stuff is so old (no more than 10 years - a long time in computer technology time) it predates the Web, and so nothing may have been filed "out there".

Comments (23)