SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jle_gw

need help moving forward

jle
13 years ago

I've been a lurker for a while and have been planning master bath redo in our 1909 house for months now.

My designer is completing the plans to solicit bids, and I need to make actual decisions soon about materials to use.

Background: 8 x 15 space. Planning double vanity (thinking Kraftmaid in Litchfield Maple with chestnut finish); 3 x 5 separate shower (subway tile with bench); 72 in tub in deck (subway as surround; white wainscoting on front); floor tile - carrara in either octagons with black marble diamonds or basketweave; cimarron toilet.

Here are some questions that are tripping me up:

1) I love carrara marble for the vanities, but believe the maintenance issues will ice that as a choice (small kids, busy professions, cleaning suffers as a result). I'm sad to see that off the table, but hope to bring in the carrara on floor tile. So -- granite? Silestone? Corian? What are your thoughts on maintenance? Looks 10 years from now? Hitting my love of the RH look that many of you have posted similar photos of?

2) In choosing faucets/shower heads/etc, are the Moens available in stock at Lowes/HD good quality? This project is such a large one (we're expanding the bathroom by a couple feet, moving pipes, and adding a third BR on the same floor) that I don't want to spend money I don't need to (WHO DOES?), but don't want to scimp and regret it.

3) I've come across some negative reviews of Kraftmaid cabinets. Anyone regretted using them? And has anyone mixed a Kraftmaid vanity with medicine cabinet? I love the Cartwright at RH, and have seen similar styles even at HD, but don't see anything Kraftmaid in similar style.

4) where did you find your basketweave carrara? the octagonal mentioned above I found at HD last night, but love the basketweave too. any thoughts between the two?

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)