SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2lilenj

Delonghi wall oven review

mom2lilenj
14 years ago

I'm writting a review of the Delonghi double wall oven DEBIGE2440SS because there was so little information when I was debating getting these ovens and thought someone else might benefit. I'll start by explaining why I decided on this oven. I needed a 24" wide oven which is small so I wanted a double oven to make up for the lost oven space. I also wanted gas because I get free gas. So one one makes double gas ovens. Bluestar was supposed to, but they only make a single that can be stacked same as delonghi. I liked the smaller upper oven so that I can get more cabinet space and they were MUCH cheaper than bluestar. Some of the other features I liked were the simple knob controls, being able to bake in a power outage, broilers in both ovens and convection in the electric oven. I would have liked convection in the gas oven and an indicator if the oven is up to temperature.

I just received my double wall oven a couple days ago and per ajmadison policy I needed to check them out within 48 hours to determine if they were DOA. Everything checked out fine and had no trouble in general with ajmadison. The ovens are fairly straight forward. The gas oven takes a little to get used to starting it. You have to push in the knob and turn to light the gas then continue pushing in the knob for a few seconds to keep the flame. If you just turn the knob and don't push it in then the oven will shut off the gas (a safety feature, which is good with my DD's) then you have to wait a little bit (I guess to clear out the gas) and try again. Also this all needs to be done with oven door open. I was used to turning the knob in my old gas oven and walking away so this is different. More like trying to start a gas grill. I think it's worth it to be able to cook with a power outage.

The gas oven heats up extreamly fast. At the urging of my DD's I baked a sheet of cookies in each oven last night to compare. I started the electric oven first to heat up about 5-10 minutes then inserted the cookies (no idea what the temperature was, got to get an oven thermometer) at that time I started the gas oven and put the cookies in without pre-heating. The cookies in the gas oven were done 5 minutes before the electric oven cookies. I'm going to repeat after I get an oven thermometer and can do it a little more scientifically. But if nothing else I know the gas oven comes up to temp much quicker than the electric oven. Both sheets came out very evenly done and quite good and it was nice to bake all the cookies at once. I was surprised at how evenly the cookies baked because the cookie sheets took up the entire size of the oven. My old oven is larger, but I could only put in one sheet at a time or the cookies would not bake evenly. I'm going to try multiple sheets in the ovens and see how that works. Maybe I'll get more stuff baked at once with my smaller ovens than with my old big one.

Both ovens are small. Though all my pans and cookie sheets fit except for one which is a half size commercial pan. Almost fits, but not quite. The gas oven has a heigth of 9" from the bottom rack to the broiler, so my DH's beer-can chicken still fits, LOL.

The front of the wall ovens get HOT. I can still touch them, but just quickly. The top and sides aren't nearly as warm as the front. With kids that's something we are going to have to be very clear about not touching the ovens.

Another thing I noticed was the gaskets around the oven door seemed small and not attached very well. I could also see oven insulation tucked up around the window. Seemed strange to not have it sealed. This may be the reason the front gets so hot. But all-in-all, I'm very pleased with the ovens.

I think that's all. If anyone has anything they would like me find out or try just ask.

Comments (5)