SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stgeorges70

tripping circuit breaker - 12,000 btu / 1350 watt portable ac

stgeorges70
15 years ago

Hi,

Help!

I recently replaced a window mounted 10,000 BTU a/c unit with a new 1200DXR Portable Air Conditioner. It is rated at 12,000 BTU 12 Amps and ~1350 cooling watts. It is plugged into a surge protector and is the only thing plugged in to the closest outlet. We have it set to power save mode and on 72' to keep the compressor from running constantly.

We live in an older brownstone (1875 build) and have a circuit breaker box in our apartment. Multiple apartment units running window a/c units at night.

Even though we occasionally trip the circuit breaker when multiple appliances: hair dryer, microwave, laptop, fan, iron are on concurrently, this new a/c trips when most major appliances including our microwave, laptop, tv and cable box are unplugged including their surge protected power strips. Only the frige (half height)is on with the exception of bed side clocks.

Would it be advisable to run the a/c unit via a heavy duty grounded extension cord into our small kitchen's GFI outlet?

I'm limited to where I can directly plug it in due to the limit of the unit's flexible exhaust ducting that goes out a duct I built into our window.

Not sure what else to do to prevent this from happening.

Thanks!

Comments (4)