SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfmastin_gw

Windows Freeze at Bootup after HD install

pfmastin
15 years ago

I have a question and am hoping someone can help me. I installed a Seagate external hard drive yesterday (FreeAgent/Desk 1 TB) that I will use to store backups and photos. I also added a USB hub since I'm running out of USB ports. I transferred my photos and did a manual backup for all my documents as well as let it run its normal nightly back up and everything worked well.

This morning, on boot up, the screen froze at the HP blue screen that has the option of F1 Setup and F10 (something or other...because for some reason for years the font has been so large on that screen that I can't read the rest of it). I couldn't escape out of that screen so manually turned off the computer and that screen was still there when I turned it back on.

Since the only thing different was the HD and the USB hub, I disconnected the HD by pulling out the hub connector from its port. The computer then booted normally.

Is there something else I need to do as far as preparing for the new external HD? Any help appreciated.

Microsoft XP Professional

Version 2002

Service Pack 2

AMD Athlon 64 Processor

3200+

2.00 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Firefox 3.0.6

Pam

Comments (9)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews