SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thetews

Oops - forgot better bench - need to remove some tiles

thetews
15 years ago

Even though I had it all planned out in my head, I forgot to install my better bench as I was tiling.

I was going to tile up to the point where I want the bench and then install the bench, and then continue tiling the walls. I was going to do it in this order in order to ensure that the top of the bench was exactly at the line between two rows of tiles. But Sunday was hectic (see my PS), and I tiled one of the two walls that the bench goes on. I haven't gotten to the next wall yet. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night thinking "I FORGOT THE BENCH!".

So - help! How do I remove three of my 3x6 travertine tiles, and the thinset behind them, off my kerdied wall?

Thanks,

Alice

PS - I am REALLY pleased with how the stone tiles are looking. I'm running them in a brick pattern halfway up the wall, topped by accent and chair rail pieces, then (not started yet) will be 4x4s on the diagonal up to the ceiling. It's looking GREAT!

Next PS - Sunday, as I was tiling, my daughter and her family came by. My almost 3 year old grandson immediately came looking for "Grandma". His face lit up in a big grin - as always - when he saw me sitting there in the shower tiling, then he started asking "what's this?", pointing to the bucket of thinset, the tiles, the tile wedges, the trowels, etc. I explained what everything was and talked to him as I continued to put up the next tile. He grinned and said "Ian help Grandma", and picked up a trowel, got mud on it, smeared some on the wall above where I was working, then picked up a tile and pressed it into the tile. I of course praised him, and he "helped" with two more mud gobs and two more tiles. Then my daughter helped by distracting him and leading him away. I figure by next year I'll be able to let him really help a little with another tiling job!

Comments (3)