SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugar_fl

adobe Grrrrrrrr

sugar_fl
14 years ago

I had a popup on taskbar to upgrade my adobe.. I clicked on it now Secunia says it along with 3 other programs are insecure. How do I correct it or get something else to replace it. What adobe should I have? Adobe has always given me problems.

Thanks,

Dar

Comments (15)

• fruitjarfla
    14 years ago

Suggest you look at the response you got to your June 19, 2009 question about problems with using Adobe. Search the word adobe.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Adobe is a manufacturer not an application, peripheral or product. Since my crystal ball is still in Florida for the winter, what help are you asking for?

Did you research your "popup" information on Google before installing or did you just take it for granted as to being safe and needed?

I personally think Secunia creates as many headaches as it prevents.

DA

• zep516
    14 years ago

I agree Secunia is a big pain, got rid of it a long time ago. Not sure why Secunia just doesn't say Microsoft Windows is unsafe and unsecured....

• exgm
    14 years ago

Adobe products have been plagued with documented security holes for some time now. If it's flash player, uninstall it with their utility
    kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
    and reinstall if you need it.
    For free pdf reader software, I recommend removal and use of either PDF-XChange viewer or Foxit.
    If you have purchased other licensed Adobe products, install patches as they become available.

• mikie_gw
    14 years ago

I prefer foxit but on last to installs recently it put in the Foxit Toolbar even when unchecked. So I had to uninstall that 'not foxit' toolbar.

• maime
    14 years ago

When I deleted Adobe, I got messages that plug ins were needed. Not on this site but another....every time I go there. Fox it came with my computer.

• exgm
    14 years ago

I would guess you deleted Adobe Flash Player as opposed to Adobe Acrobat Reader.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

I use pdf-xchange and really like it best.

There have been several very recent updates for most all adobe products if you are showing updates needed then you likely still have one that needs the latest update, these are all serious patches that have been added so I would suggest you continue till you have everything updated and secure. You may want to read this
    Surprise Adobe update
    Adobe Download Manager Security Update
    Security update available for Adobe Download Manager

a reboot may be needed prior to a new secunia scan.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK, I am now ready to ditch Adobe.. I have several Adobe things showing.. Should I delete all of them & is there replacements for all? Do they all need to be replaced? I'm sorry to be such a pain but I am here alone (computer wise) & have no one to help (other than a shop) me computer wise but U kind folks. The seniors in this building most know less than I do & that is just enough to make me dangerous LOL. Not many even have a computer.
    Here is what's showing that I have now. I thought I had put that in the post that follow the original one. I must have just viewed it.

The next thing I want to replace is my AVG virus detector. One thing at a time.
    THANKS for all the help,
    Dar

• grandms
    14 years ago

Go to Add/Remove programs and remove Adobe Reader. If you decide to go with one of the other pdf readers rather than Adobe Reader, then install Foxit or PDF-XChange. Reboot and do another scan with Secunia. This time, go to Add/Remove programs and remove Adobe Flash Player 9.x. It is an older version. Now to update the two listings for Adobe Flash Player 10.x, click on the blue arrows under the word Direct, and it will update these two items. After you have updated both of these, reboot and run another scan with Secunia. There should now be no more outdated programs shown.

• exgm
    14 years ago

There is a key reason I prefer to use the Adobe uninstaller utility for Flash Player:
    "Due to recent enhancements to the Adobe Flash Player installers, you can now remove the player only by using the Adobe Flash Player uninstaller."
    from
    kb2.adobe.com/cps/141/tn_14157.html
    Any residuals left behind by Windows Add/Remove...I don't want on my/my client systems.

• DA_Mccoy
    14 years ago

Historically, I personally have had nothing but self-created concerns when I have tried to remove AR uning just its own uninstaller. The application is deeply configured into the O/S. The cure has been REVO.

After using the the application's uninstaller, REVO detects, and if user approved, removes the orphan files and registry entries left by the uninstaller. And, there are many.

I am beginning to find Foxit becoming a little bloated. I still use it, but I am vigilant now with every new release.

Dar,

If you just want to remove your AVG or are having concerns with it please do. However, if you are just trying to follow the lead of others it is really not necessary as AVG is a more than adequate application.

Users can sometimes be like sheep. They just follow others blindly, particularly when the application is free.

Independent tests show AVG regularly equal to or better than other available applications. Avast is the current "star" of AVs as was one time McAfee, Norton, and AVG. In time it will be replaced by some other release and the migration will start.

DA

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Secunia says I no longer have any threats but add & delete says I have 10. The following site says I have the latest.. does that mean ME or is that more or less saying what I need?
    I THINK & hope that it is telling ME I have 10.0.45.2.

DA,
    The reason I want something besides AVG is it seems to be
    scanning 3 or 4 times a day. It slows my computer down & even freezes it sometimes. I'm not one who has to have everything someone else has.. my way of thinking.. if it works leave well enough alone. I have tried to change the setting but it won't change.
    This may be normal & all are that way.
    I don't really want to change as I fear I will mess up :(
    Thanks,
    Darlene

Here is a link that might be useful: adobe flash

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    14 years ago

if you go to the adobe flash site you posted it will tell you exactly what version is on your pc so you should be fine, you have to do that for both browsers however if you have firefox and IE on the pc. Sometimes that confuses people when they update one and it still shows there is an insecure version on the pc.

• sugar_fl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Raven,
    I checked IE & it show the same as FF. I never use IE unless a site requires me to do so. I will start checking when I do an update (when I can tell.)
    Dar