SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edlakin

Simmer Burners--What's the Big Deal?

15 years ago

I know many people posting here place a lot of value on a rangetop being able to put out very low heat for simmering.

I'm a professional chef and i honestly don't understand what the importance of this is. There are about 10 easy work-arounds for situations in which i want more gentle heat on a pan. restaurants don't have any simmer burners, anywhere, and we manage pretty well.

I'm not looking to start an argument here (although i don't ever mind a good debate), but can those of you for whom the simmer function is so important please explain it to me?

What do you use your simmer function to do? Give me concrete examples, please. Do you simmer soups, sauces, use the burners for melting....what?

What uses of the simmer can't be replicated with simple work-arounds like sliding a pot half-off the burner, elevating a burner grid, or just using the microwave to melt your butter or chocolate?

Thanks in advance. I have a simmer burner on my range, but haven't yet had the occasion to use it. Maybe I'm missing out on something great?

Comments (46)