SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjetexas

Island electric cooktop replacement...questions

sjetexas
15 years ago

I am currently replacing my laminate countertops with granite, and figured it was a good time to also swap out my much hated 30in island electric cooktop. It is a jennair electric coil cooktop that was built with the house in 1992. Burners don't work well, it's a pain to clean, and its pretty ugly.

My dilemma is, I need downflow venting, as it's on an island. The vent on my current cooktop doesn't work (no response when turned on), and to be honest it doesn't even bother me. We arenÂt cooksÂboiling water is probably the most common thing we do on it. I'd probably skip venting altogether if I didn't think it would cause code issues or problems selling our house in the future.

Anyway, at all the local big box stores, I am only seeing two possible options of 30in electric cooktops with built in downflow vents...a GE model and a Jennair model. Both are about the same price.

-Is installation of these units complicated in getting them connected to the current downflow vent system (all I see is metal vent tubing connecting the cooktop and going down into the foundation)? Is it necessary to do anything else other than buy the cooktop and hire someone to install it?

-Is it easier to get a Jennair to replace my current 15 yr old Jennair or does it matter at all? Not sure how cross-compatible these things are across brands or how much theyÂve changed in the past decade. Trying to keep it simple.

-Who would I hire to install it...do most electricians do this type of thing? The stores (HD, Lowe's, Sears, etc) won't do it.

-Are there any retail places (Houston, TX area) I can go to look at cooktops such as this and would also handle installation? Even the big box places only have them online.

-Any better options than the cooktops I am looking at? Trying to keep the cost of this project around 1500-2000ish or hopefully even less. So induction style with pop up vents and such are probably out (does induction with built in downflow even exist?). Not sure even where to look to buy these types and get them installed.

Thanks for any advice!

Scott

Comment (1)