SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mushcreek

Saloon/cafe door ideas?

mushcreek
9 years ago

The entry into our master suite is 36" wide, but a single door won't work well, so I am planning to use a pair of swinging doors. I figured saloon-type doors would be better, as you could go through easily just by pushing, and they would close themselves. When there is no company, we would probably latch them open. The reason for having any door is that the view from the dining room would be our laundry!

Having said all that, I'm trying to figure out what the best looking doors would be. The rest of the house will be antique 5 panel doors that I am refinishing. I considered trying to cut a couple of them down to 18", but the result would be tiny center panels- about 7" wide, which I think would look silly. I don't want typical closet doors, which seems to be what is available when you get down to 18". I'll probably have to build something, as custom doors would be out of budget, but I'm hung up on what would be a good design. The house is (or will be) basically Craftsman, with a lot of antique furnishings. The doors will be in the dining room. One thought was having glass inserts, with curtains mounted for privacy. Or? Looking for ideas here.....

Comments (13)