SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
socalsister_gw

double sink vanity mess--HELP!

socalsister
12 years ago

Plumber said we had slow drains in our new--NOT USED YET--double sink vanity (he was here to fix another problem in our master bath remodel). He tried to snake the drains with a regular snake but was unsuccessful. I read online about using a drophead snake in cases like this (no cleanout) but the plumber said the piece at the end of a drophead snake often breaks off. If this happened, it would create a bigger problem.

Well, he tried to bend the end of the regular snake to compensate for not using the drophead but still no luck (he said he tried at least 5 times). The sinks both are backed up with water (we didn't use the sinks at all since he was here). I also opened the vanity doors to reveal water soaking the bottom of my new vanity. The p-trap under the other sink also is dripping water (I didn't touch it!).

I called the plumber who said he would come tomorrow to install a cleanout--the only way to clear the clog properly. Unfortunately, to do this he will have to cut through the solid wood back of the drawer bank between the two vanities. I have to mention that this is our third plumber. (First one couldn't pass inspections, 2nd couldn't install the tub fixtures without leaks.) Third plumber fixed tub leaks and said the other two plumbers were goofballs--no cleanout installed when wall was open, and simple fixture assembly done incorrectly). The plumber said he took apart the p-trap on one sink, but not the other and, in fact, didn't touch the second sink. But he actually snaked the drains, so in a sense, wouldn't he have touched the second sink? Before he left, he said we could use the sinks, they just were slow.

We intended to wait to install the cleanout (and just suffer with slow drains) until we demo the kitchen below this bathroom (want bathroom done before we start kitchen!). Once the walls were open downstairs, the plumber could install the drain cleanout in the kitchen without cutting into the bath cabinet--or so we hoped.

I'm so tired of dealing with this (75+ weeks with no master bath!!) The third plumber handles commercial and well as residential plumbing and is also a licensed contractor. I want to trust him, but how could we develop two leaks after he is here--that have nothing to do with him? He did install a recirculating pump a few days ago that seems to work well. Could the pump somehow prevent water from draining from the sinks--and the sink drains to leak?

Any ideas on how to approach the problem of the leaks as well as how to eliminate the clog? Is a cleanout the only solution? (I'm surprised the inspector didn't notice the lack of a cleanout!) Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)