SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
salbwil

'mywebface toolbar'

salbwil
13 years ago

Hi,

Is anyone else getting this pop up ? I keep getting it when I try to "click " on a post, mostly on the bath forum. It is most annoying ! I am using IE 8 and Windows 7 home

Any ideas how to get rid of this ? I do log on, so I don't think that is the problem.

salbwil

Comments (12)

• azinoh
    13 years ago

You are beginning to discover that toolbars are, in general, far more trouble than they are worth. Only you can decide if mywebface is important enough to you to put up with the annoyance. I will never install a toolbar of any kind...but that's just me...YMMV. The lack of a toolbar has never prevented me from accessing any content I wanted to get.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    13 years ago

did you install the mywebface toolbar or is it asking you to install it? What do you mean by it keeps popping up?

The website for mywebface is Red listed on WOT so I would not want it on my pc, if you do have it you should try looking in add remove programs to see if it is listed there and try to remove it.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I did not install it; it is a pop up on this web site that keeps showing its ugly face. I am at this time using Firefox as a browser so am not having the problem, but I use IE most of the time ( have to for work) and it annoys the dickens out of me. I have no idea where it comes form.
    salbwill

• zep516
    13 years ago

Try running IE8 In "No Add-ons mode" see what that does. Here's how:

Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

This will start IE with no add-ons.

Then through Internet Options > Manage Add-ons, you can enable/disable each add-on to identify which, if any, add-on is creating problems.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Zep.
    I am NOW running IE8 with no add-ons. It pops up when I am switching from one forum to the other...this time going from the kitchen forum to the remodeling one. I have not downloaded this program , and as far as I know, have not "clicked" on anything that would cause it to load. But, it is there, and how do I get rid of it ?
    Thank you,
    salbwil

• owbist
    13 years ago

Right click Start, click Explore
    Look down the left column and click the plus sign beside C: and the sub menu drops dpwn.
    Look down these and click the plus sign beside Program files.
    Now look below for any reference to MyWeb or similar program.

Go here, download and install HiJackThis and run a scan. Post the logfile here and someone will interpret it for you.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Good idea owbist!

salbwil,

Here are instructions for Hijackthis,

Click Here to download HJTInstall.exe
    Save HJTInstall.exe to your desktop.
    Doubleclick on the HJTInstall.exe icon on your desktop. Right click the Hijackthis Icon and Run as Adminstrator if you use Vista or Windows 7
    By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Click on Install.
    It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" and Paste the entire contents of the log into your next post.
    DO NOT use the AnalyzeThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what HJT lists will be harmless or even required by your Operating System.

• salbwil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I did what you said, owbist, and there is no reference to My Web or anything that sounds remotely like it, and I tried to folow Zep's very easy directions, but I get a notice stating " the URI you submitted has disallowed characters". I have no idea what this means either. In the meantime, I have run both my Superantispyware and my Malwarebytes and neither have found anything.
    What a puzzle !
    salbwil

• owbist
    13 years ago

Well if there is no sign of the program in your 'Program files' then you are probably alright.

Hmm, I forgot to the link, thanks Zep.

• zep516
    13 years ago

Odd
    " the URI you submitted has disallowed characters".

A URI (a Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a string of characters used to identify a name or a resource on the Internet.)

Funny if you look at a hijackthis log some entries, R0's, R1's ,09's, 016's,& 017's contain clickable links and for some reason the forum is disallowing one or more of them.

Is there any way to get a screen shot of what you see?

• salbwil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

not sure how to do that, but it came up when I clicked on where you said, "click here".
    salbwil

• zep516
    13 years ago

I am getting same, lets try another link for Hijackthis see link below. Not sure what's up with that link.

A box should pop up when you click link. Click Save file. Save it to desktop. The go to desktop and double click it to install Hijackthis.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hijackthis

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions