SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jzinckgra

Log siding or cedar siding? Can't decide

jzinckgra
12 years ago

My wife and I are hoping to build a 2500sqft home and were most certain that we would go with pine log siding with false corners. We really like the look of the log style, even though it's not a real log home. Total material cost for 6200lft and 136 false corners is $12,000. We started having second thoughts, mainly due to increase material cost and labor to put up the log siding. Our builder claims it would be less expensive to go with cedar siding (ship lap or T&G). We thought we might do the lower/main part of the house with cedar clapboard and the upper with cedar shake shingles. Was also reading about how the pine log siding will expand and contract with the seasons. We're in Maine so we're prone to variable temps year-round.

Anyone have any thoughts on the siding they would choose? Would cedar clapboard be easier to maintain and would it last longer? I've seen some pretty bad log sided homes where the boards were warped and large gaps developed, but I contribute that mostly to not staining every few years.

Comments (4)