SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iwantakitchen_gw

Range Hood Vent Help- Given 3 opinions from pros

iwantakitchen
15 years ago

Talked to a HVAC on the phone yesterday to let him know that I need my range hood vented thru the roof.

HVAC guys says he does not recommend going thru the roof due to ice dam problems it can cause. It seems his 1st suggestion is thru the garage and 2nd choice is thru the soffitt.

Before I called him I came to the conclusion to have it vented thru the roof instead of through the 1 car garage out its wall or through the soffitt based on my research here and on the internet.

Distance from the vent thru the garage to outside wall is 29 feet. After figuring in the axtra amount of distance I am suppose to figure in the right angle, etc I am at 63'. The manual calls for a max of 65'.

I was told by a different business in town that I would not want to go thru the soffitt, it is a fire hazzard. I have also been told that it could also create an ice dam problem.

So I was surprised this HVAC guy on the phone does not recommend going thru the roof due to ice dams.

He is coming out tomorrow to look. Our conversation was over the phone so he has not been here to look at the situation yet.

I wanted to write here to get your opinions and if there are any questions I may want to ask him.

He was recommended by an appliance store who has been in town for many years. They say they have used him.

I am a little leary of whether or not he is just trying to make his job easier? Or does he really have a valid point about the ice dam?

My home is one level 70's ranch home so going thru the roof is the shortest, straight run.

I believe my hood is a GE Profile jv636, 410 cfm.

What's one to do with all this difference of opinions!!??

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals