SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

Windows 7 users BSOD from an update reported

This is not the issue already posted about concerning KB977165 this is an entirely different update issue.

It involves KB977074 and seems to only affect windows 7 users sporadically. But if you are experiencing BSOD as described in these forum posts you may want to remove that update from your pc and hide it.

MS KB977074 Update Problem

This is the article from windows secrets addressing this problem.

"977074

Windows 7 stability patches aren't so stable

By Susan Bradley

On the second Patch Tuesday of each month  actually, the fourth Tuesday of the month  Microsoft releases "stability updates." Lately, these patches have targeted problems with Internet Explorer 8 and Windows 7, but some of the updates address holes in Vista and XP.

In late January, Microsoft posted KB article 977074

to patch stability glitches relating to Windows 7's sleep function. A few days after applying the update on my home network, I noticed the two Windows 7 machines on the network no longer went into sleep mode. I uninstalled the update and sure enough, the systems went into sleep as expected.

I reinstalled the updates, and this time both computers went to sleep as they should. Sometimes, problems occurring when a patch is automatically installed go away when the update is uninstalled and manually reinstalled. The method used to install a patch shouldn't matter, but in my unscientific experience, it sometimes does.

A Microsoft TechNet forum post (I linked to above)

indicates some users have experienced Blue Screens of Death after installing patch 977074. Other than the sleep-mode glitch that was resolved by uninstalling and reinstalling the update, I haven't seen BSODs on my Win7 machines. Should you be one of the unfortunate few who do get BSODs resulting from this patch, please let me know via the Windows Secrets WS contact page"

WS contact page

Comments (2)