SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marthapartha

Attention: Budding GW Geniuses-Aunt's HP Pavilion 4535 HD

marthapartha
17 years ago

This is an older computer and with a 6GB HD ...she's out of space.

Can she add a bigger HD?

marf

Here is a link that might be useful: HP Pavilion 4535 Specs

Comments (16)

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Certainly.
    Windows 98 had about a 60Gb max size limitation. So 60Gb max will be easiest.
    Bios may only support smaller , might support bigger ?
    But anyhow it maybe flash upgradeable, if not the drive maker will have free overlay software to work around bios limitations but overlays tend to add a bit of booting slowness.

• genes
    17 years ago

If you do get a larger HDD (40G), partition it into 4 seperate drives, 10G apiece, that will enable the BIOS to read it. Then, your aunt can put her OS on one and use the other three for storage of pics etc

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

mikie!!!!??????

Translate into bad English(the only language I speak).

What do we do?

She just can't go out and buy any old 60 GB HD ... aren't there speed limitations or other limitations? Some limitations.

marf

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

She's living in the picturesque UP of Michigan and I'm stuck in the South Cental bowels of Wisconsin.

You remember how hard it was to teach me how to put in a stick of RAM?

1. What does she buy?
    2. That's as far as I can think.

marf

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

She wants the hard drive to be;
    3.5 inch drive
    ATA/100 or also called EiDE
    ,, thats the size and form factor so the cable will work.
    Typical rpm's now are 7200 ... which is fast as it gets without spending big bucks.

She probably wants to buy a retail packaged drive if she's going to install it herself. It will have instructions and a a cd thats an installing helper.

Most computers come with two connectors on the ribbon cable that connects between the hard drive and the motherboard. And most computers have a spare parking garage thats made for hard drives to sit in... attaches with two or four screws,, or duct tape porbably works for a while, if you dont have screws.
    ;// i have a hard drive sitting on top of my desktop case... which is missing the cover. Keep the dust off it with a cd case. Its not even taped down.

If she's not handy,, she needs to find an older teen that has had win98 and experience with taking apart things. Or take it to the computer shop, buy hard drive and install from them for cheap... except the base labor charge.

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Can her computer handle something that fast? Or does it not make any difference?

marf

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

It shouldnt matter , all the newer drives use less current, or wattage, than the older slower drives actually.

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Really, cool!

You mean I could have gotten a 7200 RPM for my Toshiba instead of the 5400 (that Bust Buy recommended as a replacement)?

mikie..your perfect except for your Microsoft jones.

marf

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Yea, you, as a gamer, shoulda went 7200. Might be a tiny bit hotter running in a laptop when replacing a 5400rpm drive.

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

One day, maybe but probably not, I may find out how to learn the easy way, instead of fumbling around making expensive mistakes.

marf

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I just want to be sure...

This is what we want...?

marf

Here is a link that might be useful: Maxtor Diamond 40 GB hard drive @ New Egg

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

...or would this be better?

Here is a link that might be useful: Seagate 40 GB HD @ New Egg

• genes
    17 years ago

Martha; from experience and using a Toshiba, there is not that much of a difference between a 5400 and 7200 HDD speedwise that would justify the larger outlay of cash

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Really...now I don't feel like such an idiot...just a slight idiot.

You are right about the cash outlay and the speed increase for Toshiba. Granted its the best there is and the price increase is justifiable for longevity as well quality in a laptop...but I don't have it.

I'm pretty much stuck wth 2004/early 2005 games because of my video card anyway... but I was kinda wondering about reaching higher levels in Morrowind, and therefore higher speed...and why my maps sometimes suffered blackouts...they can't keep up with me.

Ok fellas, lets get this fine lady's computer back to running as it should.

I just want to be triple sure that either the Seagate or Maxtor (owned by Seagate) has the correct "stuff" to install in my Aunt's computer. Any other suggestions would be more than welcome.

She bought a HP multifunction printer, that she can't hook up.

The lady also bought a 160 GB external hard drive, on advice, believing that would solve her problems with a disc drive shortage. I told her to return it. Having an external drive is always a good idea but a 160 GB back up for a 6 GB drive wasn't.

marf

• mikie_gw
    17 years ago

Either of those will work, but they're OEM drives meaning they probably dont come with any literature nor install help on a CD. Usually that extra stuff is avail as free downloads from support at the hard drive maker, and screws/mtg rails from the local computer repair shop if the case needs them.
    Oh and pretty much no factory warrantee on OEM hard drives, unless you get lucky jumping thru hoops. Seller supposed to handle returns - which most dont after 30 days.

I'm partial to seagate but most are happy with whatever brand they buy.

• marthapartha
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's all I could find. Manufacturer's are not making them anymore.

She is going to take it to a repair center, or whatever they have up there in the UP...beautiful country with tall pines. I just want to make sure she doesn't get ripped off...again.

marf

Sponsored
EasyHeat
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Easy-to-Install, Reliable Heating Products in North America