SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
camg_gw

Where do I put the front door? Design issues

CamG
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've posted this plan in this and the kitchen forums before. It's currently out to several contractors for estimates, and I think I'm as close as we're going to get until I get a better idea on costs and put it into a more accurate CAD program. I will repost a full set of plans for another round of your wonderful suggestions what I can. But, in the meantime, I noticed the other day that the front door is not centered on the house:

Detail:

The front of this place should look something like the front of this house (other than the garage and bump out on second floor):

Which obviously requires the front door to be centered. However, if I center the front door, our small foyer gets crowded:

What do I do? I can try to make the house asymmetrical by moving the garage forward and in front of the house, but that would push the whole house deeper into my fairly shallow lot and really cut down the backyard. If the front door is nearly in the center, but off by a foot or two, I think it will look very odd. Thoughts? Thanks!

Comments (7)