SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deew_gw

Strange occurance while rebooting

deew
17 years ago

I used to have an HP Pavilion computer, and when I bought my new Dell Dimension computer in Sept. Â05, I added the old hard drive to the new CPU. It has my music files on it, but I transferred all the other files I wanted to the new hard drive, so I donÂt use the old one for anything else. It is listed as drive E:

Last night I installed the latest Windows Update, and when I rebooted, it stopped before the Welcome screen and had this:

Checking file system on E:

The type of the file system is FAT32.

The volume is dirty.

Volume serial # is 1170-1B09.

Windows is verifying files and folders...

0 percent completed....

Then it proceeded to do its checking, which took over an hour. At around 40%, this came up:

Folder\Program Files\Microsoft Picture It Express\PiFiles\MRU is entirely unreadable.

Folder entry removed

Then it continued to do its checking.

When it finished, it said:

File and folder verification is complete.

Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes

128 kb in 4 recovered files.

Then it started over saying it was verifying the free space. It was just as slow doing that. I had to go to bed when it was at 20%.

This morning, when I checked the computer, it had finished rebooting and was back to the Desktop. I have no idea what it said when the free space check was complete. Everything has been functioning normally.

Needless to say, this has never happened before. Did the Windows Update cause this? How can I keep this from happening every time I start up or reboot? Can I/should I go to the Control Panel and remove the update, or is something else at fault?

Dell Dimension 5100

WinXP

Dee

Comments (2)