SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
not2bright

Reformat/Re-install Question

not2bright
15 years ago

Hi,

I've been perusing the archives but didn't as yet find the answer to my question so I thought I'd post it here.

I'm summoning the nerve to do a complete reformatting of my HP desktop's HD. (The 'computer guy' who did this for my aunt's laptop did a great job. It's so de-bloated now it much quicker, even running AV scans in 15 minutes flat ! Since he worked on my computer at one time, the guy knew me and gave me a Windows XP SP3 disc just like the one used for my aunt's.)

I want to see if I can do this procedure myself, instead of having to pay someone else. The good thing is, there is nothing on my computer at the present time that I need. Any files have already been backed up somewhere else, so I can wipe the whole thing and just install from the new disc. (Btw, the computer has XP SP3 on it now, but I want to install from the new disc because it's more compact, less bloated.)

Can I just format the drive and then install from the new disc (after setting the computer up to boot from the CD drive first, of course) ? I remember reading somewhere (I think) that in doing this reformatting one should back up all (non-Microsoft) drivers first. Is this necessary ? I don't have a CD burner nor a USB stick at present, so that part may take some time.

Any comments appreciated, but remember, I'm not2bright.

Scott

Comments (12)