SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladyamity

Laptop won't /takes forever to load web sites with photos.

ladyamity
16 years ago

This is the sticker on my son's laptop if it helps any.

Compaq Presario v4240US

Running XP Home

Wireless - Router - DSL

AOL / IE as Browser - Free

AVG 7.5 - Paid 2 Yr. Subscription

Ad-Aware 2007

Spybot S&D

CCleaner

Oh Boy, what have I done now?

I don't want to return my son's computer broken! *ack!*

For almost a week now, whenever I go to a web site that has lots of pictures the blue line at the bottom left of the screen starts loading and then stops dead center.

I've experimented --- I've waited as long as 3 minutes 48 seconds for the blue line to continue.

When the blue line loads, the page stays blank then another minute or two later the page finally shows up.

Other times I've gone and washed dishes, come back and the blue line is still stuck in the middle.

I end up X'ing out of the site, trying again with the same results so I just don't bother with that site.

( By doing that I know I'm missing out on a lot of valuable information regarding my little (budget) bathroom remodel.)

I've even hit 'Refresh' trying to hurry up the loading but nothing happens --- blue line stays where it is and page remains blank.

Happens on a lot of sites as I'm doing lots of bathroom remodel/ install research and looking at lots of web sites with photos.

I can come to this Computer board and it loads fast. The Home Decor and Bathroom Board also load fast.

But if I want to look at the Gallery side of the Home Decor or Bathroom Forum for more inspiration, I sit, I wait.

I've double and triple-checked the AVG settings.

I run the AVG automatically at 4:30 a.m. every single morning and I've had no problems --- virus or other.

Windows Firewall is turned off so as not to conflict with AVG.

I've cleared cache, removed unused files/photos.

Cleared history, cleared all cookies, cleared Temp Files.

I've defrag'd.

I've run Ad-Aware and Spybot.

I've run CCleaner.

After any cleaning/defrag process I shut down machine completely, wait 5 minutes and restart.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do or anyplace else on this machine I can check to get this computer back to the way it was before I started borrowing it from my son?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting