SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
phelansmom

Vintage Bathroom Floor Ideas That Aren't White?

phelansmom
11 years ago

We own a 1907 Victorian Cottage with only 1 Jack and Jill bathroom (6x9) in need of a new bathroom floor. The previous owner installed a white, grey and burgundy peel and stick vinyl tile over layer #2 of vinyl (seen at Home Depot). Under vinyl layer #2 is a new subfloor over the original vinyl and finally a Douglas Fir floor.

Our heavy claw foot tub plus radiator make the vinyl a terrible choice for our bathroom plus the vinyl tile seams are starting to separate...biggest reason though is it is not our style or a color we would have ever chosen so the style and flow of the rest of the house stop.

This said..my husband and I agree that we never want a white floor again. We are a very active but clean family..and cleaning this white floor is making me crazy! Seriously everyday. We are passionate about old homes and are interested in maintaining a period feel..but even though the lovely white marble or ceramic hex & octagon tiles make me drool..my family would probably get tired of me yelling at them to baby the floors.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a durable alternative that still has timeless vintage appeal? The bathroom floors will meet up to refinished Douglas Fir floors and the room only has 1 medium window facing the east.

Comments (14)