SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sillyuser

Sub-zero Impressions and a question

sillyuser
12 years ago

So I've been lurking around here for the past year or so looking for information on various appliances for my upcoming kitchen remodel (well, the kitchen was remodeled a couple years ago but we are completing it piece by piece for a number of reasons). Anyways, happy to say that the refrigeration portion of the kitchen has been completed.

We got the BI-36R (fridge only) and the BF-700I undercounter freezer drawers. A few comments after having had them for a few days.

1. These things are magnificent, especially the fridge -- I am 5'11" and with all drawers and shelves removed I could probably walk into the fridge upright. The quality of the built is spectacular, they are very heavy (as in hundreds of pounds), and they feel really solid.

2. The noise during operation is minimal. I had read some complaints here and if my units are typical the noise is a non issue. Worth noting that my setup is probably on the worse side acoustically (the units are in niches with some open space on top, etc.) -- this will change so I expect to be nearly impossible to hear them.

3. Haven't measured the actual temp inside but whenever I open the door/drawers the temp on the indicator is what I set it to.

4. The refrigerator is noticeably harder to open compared to our previous fridge (a generic $400 Maytag). However, my 3-year-old is fully capable of opening the door -- he is a bit on the strong side but 3-year-old nevertheless.

5. The fridge can't hold gallon jugs on the door but not a problem with so much space on the shelves.

6. The sub-zero literature called for a 35.5" opening -- I had it done exactly to spec. Now that the fridge has arrived I regret not making the opening a bit narrower -- given that the fridge is 35" in the back I think 35.25" would've been perfect in my case. We have the fridge with the SS door installed proud of the wall and the front frame (which overhangs the opening on the sides) is barely about 1/8 of an inch overhanging each side. Not a big deal and I understands the risks of making a quarter-inch narrower hole but would've been a bit better.

7. The freezer literature called for a 27" opening and I wanted a flush installation -- worked out beautiful.

One question for experienced installers/users. The freezer had a contraption on its side, looked like a 3"x5" opening on one side and the end of a hose with some sort of an ending sticking through it visible through this opening, the entire opening covered by a thick tape. Obviously not intended to be pulled out and used for something because the side of the freezer is pretty much next to the wall but what is it? Some type of sensor? Not mentioned in the lit or manual or instructions at all. Definitely not the water connection for the ice, I found it and it's a completely separate thing in a separate location.

Questions about these models or in general welcome.

Comments (6)