SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drjoann

So, 2 Engineers Decide to Build a House ...

drjoann
13 years ago

... I dunno, that must be the beginning of some kind of joke.

We got back late Saturday from a trip to SC for the mechanical/electrical/plumbing walkthroughs & we're still a bit slap happy. It was the first time we got to see what we have worked on for so long on paper being turned into reality. It was more than we had even imagined it would be.

Here is a picture of our first glimpse of the house, last Monday morning. Yay! There will be sun on the front terrace in the morning for drinking our coffee & watching the neighbors go by.

Besides the MEP, we needed to nail down a bunch of selections before we return after the sheetrock and flooring are done. I had really been worrying about the ceramics in the master bath, because we had decided to go bold and use rainforest green marble for the vanity countertop. I just fretted about finding tile for the floor & steam shower that could go with it. Here is what we came up with:

The large format tile is a through body porcelain that really looks like silver travertine. It all goes together perfectly. They will clip the corners on the floor tile and add 4x4 square of rainforest green mosaic. The ceramic company is Sant Agostino and they have tile that looks just like marble & travertine.

It was disconcerting, at first, to walk through the house because we had designed it in the mirror image. In February, we decided to flip it so it would fit the terrain of the lot better. Interior pictures tend to be a jumble at the framing stage, but this is a view of the octagonal raised ceiling over the breakfast banquette:

We went to the house for the last time, this trip, on Friday afternoon to nail down where the stone is going. By this point, the boxing was finished an, mostly, painted. As we went by the far side of the house to see if our neighbor was home, I noticed that the start of the first two courses of the Nichiha Sierra Premium Shakes had been applied. Now, I know why mahogany was such a good choice with that red, red dirt:

I need to tell about "Adventures in Cabinetland" & how I got offered a job by the electrician, but I also need some sleep, tonight. What a fun journey we have commenced.

Nighty-night y'all - Jo Ann

Comments (12)