SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xc60

Venting of Range Hood Dilemma

xc60
12 years ago

This is somewhat also cross posted on the GW kitchen forum.

Background

We build a new home and moved in the beginning of April, we had picked our appliances back last September and gave the specs to both the kitchen designer and our builder last October at the framing stage. Our range hood was backordered and was not in at time of possession and builder agreed to install it when it arrived. The range hood finally came in on Friday and the installer came today.

Today I found out our venting duct was originally placed incorrectly too low on the wall for our range hood. Even when the builder and all trades had our appliance specs and install directions before even framing started on our house. So instead of telling me it was wrong the installer today installed the range at only 21 1/2 "above the gas range anyway, over 5 inches below the manufacturer's minimum distance of 27" thinking it was no big deal. Not acceptable and I think maybe dangerous.

So now to fix it and have it installed properly the ducting needs to be moved up affecting our stucco on a wall on the back of the house since the wrong venting hole would need to be fixed and patched. Not sure how that would match up and builder does not want to cover the cost of redoing the whole wall. Also the glass tiles need to be replaced where they were drilled into too low. This terrifies me as after building a couple of houses I've learned that the fix ups can be worse than the original problem. :(

I received a call from the GC and he said the builder said we did not give him the specs and could not of as the hood only got dropped off on Friday but they would try and fix it anyway. That really upset me as I keep track of everything and the dates I gave the specs and install sheets to the builder and kitchen designer. The specs I gave were also used to plan all the appliance placements and measurement of the whole kitchen which turned out fine, so I really don't know how he could say he never had them. They had to have the specs to do the rest correctly.

The builder now wants to move the vent up and put a cover on the lower vent hole on the exterior and block it off. I am worried that if they mess around with the stucco, the fix maybe worse than a second vent cover. But I am also mad that they made the mistake in the first place, why should we be stuck with a extra vent cover on the outside that should not be there? But with the builder trying to lie and say he never got the specs I somewhat feel like we have no other options.

What would you all do?

Comments (4)