SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
owl_at_home

Need porch help! Long, several pics.

owl_at_home
16 years ago

We're having a bit of a crisis regarding the design of our front porch. We are building a one and a half-story house in an I-house or "plantation plain" style. Here are a couple of our inspiration houses located in our area:

@>

@>

One difference is we plan to have a covered porch all the way across the front and down one side. Here's the problem: We would also like to have a small porch or balcony centered on the front above the main porch roof, with a door coming out from the landing upstairs. On the first house shown above, there is a little balcony, but you just walk out on the roof of the porch (or maybe it's a fake balcony). On the other one (below) there is a small double porch, which is nice.

@>

The problem is, we want the lower level porch to go all the way across the front and down the side. (It will also be deeper, at 10 feet.) but I don't REALLY want a double porch all the way across the front, because that would change the look of the house too much (plus we don't need that much porch!). I just cannot find a picture anywhere online that shows exactly what we want on a style of house that we like. In the photo above, it has the stacked porch, but if we extended the lower part all the way across, it would have to have a flat roof, right? Would that be OK?

I would be fine with the upper porch being much smaller, like just a balcony.

Our builder isn't sure what to do. At first he said we would do a smaller upper porch that would come out the same depth as the main porch and be supported by the same posts. Then he realized the roof of the porch below would have to come up about two feet above the level of the upper porch, so there'd be little walls on the sides of the upper porch. The only ones I've seen like that online have different roof styles and don't look right at all. Example:

@>

This one isn't too bad:

@>

But, again, the main house roof is a totally different style and isn't that lower porch roof almost totally flat? Would that look right on my style of house?

Does anyone here have a balcony over a lower porch roof, or a double porch where the one on top is smaller?

The builder is nervous about doing something that will totally change the look of the house from what we want. I'm going to meet with him Tuesday, but I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas. Thanks!

Comments (7)