SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hydrangea_2008

btus - any faq around here?

hydrangea_2008
15 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of planning a kitchen remodel and am finding great data here. Thanks.

My main purchase(s) in my kitchen (though it's a total remodel) is , the range and hood. I am wondering if there is any good FAQ on BTUs floating around.

I cook a lot of vegetarian food on a bad downdraft cooktop now - and pretty much any good range will be an improvement. In terms of functionality I like both the wolf and bluestar. However - I see many brands here being discussed where even higher BTUs (> 22000) seem to be the norm.

I dislike mushy mushrooms in my stirfry (and I sure would love to do one step cooking rather then the multi step process I now do to prevent having water logged food).

But - is there any FAQ on what BTUs are required for various kinds on cooking? Like - if I were trying to stir fry green beans and mushrooms without the mushrooms becoming mush - would 18,000 suffice - or is 22,000 a must?

While I know I *could* get higher and higher BTUs - I'd like my kitchen to be driven by my requirements.

And - I have already read the range hood faq - which was incredibly informative.

Thanks much!

Comments (23)