SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
roookie

Bathroom insulation jitters

roookie
15 years ago

I recently gutted my upstairs bathroom (w/shower) and am in the process of putting it back together. It is located in a dormer (3 mostly exterior walls) with attic space above it and has always been cold, so I wanted to install as much installation as possible.

After reading up on insulation, I decided to install Kraft faced R15 insulation in the 2x4 exterior walls, then install 3/4" foil faced Polyisocyanate foam insulating panel for the extra R6), topped with 1/2" paperless drywall.

On the ceiling, I decided to leave the existing attic insulation (14" of blown in fiberglass) and also use the foil faced foam board (1") under the drywall.

I've got all of the supplies ready and am about to start installing, but am having second thoughts after reading more about vapor barriers.

So, is aluminum foil too impermeable (Should I be letting my bathroom breathe?

Should I consider leaving out the vapor barrier from the ceiling?

Is there something I'm missing - a question I haven't asked?

After reading forum after forum and getting lots of mixed messages depending on the specific situation, I thought I would see if anyone could offer me some reassurance that I am going down the right path (or tell me I'm setting myself up for disaster).

I live in MN (where it is cold in the winter (-10-20F) and hot in the summer (80-90F).

Thanks in advance.

Comment (1)