SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

I have a crazy story, what to do next.

Aims
9 years ago

Please hang with me, it's a story and we seriously need some guidance.

A year ago, we were debating on buying or building a house. DH will probably be in a wheelchair in the next 20+ years so handicapped accessibility is very important. My hubby's BFF approached us about building our home for us. He had plenty of home building experience and he offered to build for a very low builders fee. So we go to an architect and get a house plan drawn up. It took a while. I joked that no one seems to want to move as fast as I want to. It's about 2,350 sq feet. A little bigger than we anticipated, but we got everything we wanted. BFF takes quite a while getting the sub contractor bids because he was trying to get us good deals.

Then stuff happened. BFF wasn't building full time (long story.) He was working with his mom at her business. Her business closed therefore he is out of a job. The city wouldn't let him pull permits. After a brief discussion we decide it's better for his uncle who is also a homebuilder to be listed as our builder so permits can be pulled and BFF still supervises the build.

BFF gets a new job and it ends up taking way more of his time, so he can't build our house now. Oh believe me I am beyond ticked. The uncle is now reviewing plans and is going to get bids from his subcontractors to see if he can build it.

This is where we get in trouble. The cost of the house built by BFF was going to be about $210,000 so about $90 per sq foot. A VERY good price. I would say this same house built by someone else would be $250K in our area. We could afford that, but we would be "house rich" and "cash poor." I don't want to live my life like that. Plus it would probably be the most expensive house in the neighborhood.

It might be easy to go back to the architect and say, hey let's cut some square footage out or rework things a little. Only our architect died. Great luck, right?

I figured right now we see what the uncle can do for us, but I didn't know if we should go ahead and take the plans to other builders and just see. Hubby thinks BFF should compensate us. Like pay for part of the builders fees for the new builder, or help us pay down the $7,000 we still owe on our lot.

I laid in bed the other night and told DH that if I would have known that we would be a year into this and not even broken ground, I would have rather gone to one of those builders where you pick out your floor plan, carpet, color of cabinets, and granite and be just done with it. We would have been in a house months ago instead of throwing almost $1,000 in rent out the window every month.

So yup, that's my story. Bring on your ideas and suggestions.

Comments (31)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County