SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pfmastin_gw

question about setting up Mozilla Thunderbird

pfmastin
15 years ago

I am trying to set up Thunderbird and am getting an Send Message Error. I want to set it up to receive AOL email. I no longer have a "paid" account with AOL, but I use their web mail email service. Should I be able to do this through Thunderbird?

Here is what I've done so far...

I downloaded Thunderbird and followed the directions at this site http://joemanna.com/articles/accessing-aol-mail-mozilla-thunderbird/ to set it up.

I composed a test email and sent it to myself at myscreenname@aol.com. A box comes up that says "enter your password for myscreenname@imap.aol.com: After I enter the password that I set up Thunderbird with, the box continues to pop up asking me again for my password. Behind that window, there is another window that says

Send Message Error

"The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server smtp.aol.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, else contact your network adminstrator"

I like Thunderbird because jpeg images can be inserted directly in the email and AOL doesn't allow that anymore.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong and how I can correct it? Thanks so much!

Pam

Comments (8)