SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
asolo_gw

Portable clear ice machine -- FYI

asolo
11 years ago

After years of indulging my good-ice obsession and failing to produce my own clear ice cubes and reading here and on the plumbing forum, I finally indulged my curiosity about this machine and just bought it.

Ever since seeing an RV-er/friend's plug-in ice-maker at a camp ground and then, later, at their home I had been impressed with the device -- except that one (and most of them) makes bullet-shaped cloudy ice. Also having replaced my own ref's ice-makers several times to the tune of $180.00 a pop I vowed never to do it again. Wondered if they made a machine like theirs that made clear ice in cubes rather than cloudy ice in bullet-shape. Well, they do. Thought you might be interested....or at least guffaw over my latest impulse-buy.

Included quarter for scale in the photo. Appears that only the insides are different from the cloudy (trapped air) bullet-ice machines. In this one the water cascades over a stainless cube-grid and freezes up in layers with no trapped air-bubbles so that the final product is clear. The cubes are about one inch per-side and they are, in fact, clear although each has an indent in one side.

Made in China, of course. Simple as dirt. No plumbing. Plug it it; fill it up; turn it on. Manages itself except for filling with water and emptying the cubes.

Can't speak to longevity because I just got it. All I can say at this point is that really works slick. Also first purchase from vendor linked below. Very impressed. Free shipping. Carefully-packed machine arrived two days later.

(I am retail customer only. No other association with vendor of mfgr.)

Here is a link that might be useful: portable clear ice machine I just bought

Comments (20)