SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bayareafrancy

Oh help! Will I EVER get a hood???

bayareafrancy
13 years ago

Hi all,

I need hood help, specifically concerning the price difference between a Modern Aire hood, and a custom wood hood.

I have been needing a hood for my vintage kitchen for several years now. YEARS!! (I have posts here regarding hoods going back to at least 2008.) I desperately want the popular vintage style Modern Aire PS26, but the cost is just so over-the-top for us. The hood would cost as much as our teeny bit of (cheapo) custom cabinetry and it feels a bit weird to put such an incredibly high end hood in such a modest, old, [cheap] kitchen.

And yet, this is the only style that looks right. (btw: do NOT want the similarly styled vent a hood. Want baffles for sure.)

Here are a few shots of the kitchen, to give you a feel for the size and atmosphere/style. (Note: we are still "in progress," adding cabinetry to the stove wall, tile, painting existing cabinetry, etc. These are just messy shots from a typical day.):

(from the hall doorway, stove peeking out at right side):

from dining room doorway:

TINY! (But I love it!!)

Here is the old stove (also feels weird to put up a hood that costs 3 times as much as the stove!):

Here is my dream hood, from klb's gorgeous kitchen (hope she doesn't mind my posting!). My hood would be much bigger though: 42" wide, 27" deep, and probably 30" tall (no cabinetry above). Her kitchen is as tiny as mine, but it is ALL so sparkling NEW that the hood is just perfect! (Most of my cabinets are 80 years old, cock-eyed from the settling house, dented, etc. But freshly painted!)

{{gwi:1427515}}

Here is the kind of wood hood I have in mind (from decodilly's beautiful kitchen--again--hope she doesn't mind my posting it):

I'm thinking this Modern Aire hood could cost over 3000 dollars. That is unspeakably huge for us. We spent half that on cabinetry (tho we still need more cabinetry so that cost will go up). And yet, I have been agonizing over every detail of this kitchen since 2006. Yep! Working on it since 2006! Gawd I need to be done, and I can't be done without a hood!! But what kind of hood does my kitchen "deserve?"

Sooooooo, I'm wondering if the wood hood (with a high quality interior--I fry a lot!)) could cost less than the Modern Aire. Of course, quality can really vary. My custom cabinets were (sadly) very cheaply done. Yeah--it was nice to pay so little. But the quality is just awful.

The main problem with the wood hood is that my cabinetry and walls are all vintage yellow. If I do a wood hood, the kitchen will really be over-the-top yellow-rific. I think the white hood would look MUCH better (but I think a wood hood would HAVE to be yellow, like the rest of the wood in the kitchen).

TheHusband firmly feels that a 3500 hood only belongs over a 3500 dollar range in an all-over expensive kitchen. Not over a, say, 12,000 kitchen (maybe our total when all is said and done). He also said that about the farm sink, but I won that battle. And about the soapstone. But I won that too. I think the sink and the counter look fabulous. But the fancy, schmancy, high end hood??

Oh, HELP!!!

Francy

Comments (11)