SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carrievision

Repair 1980s shower wall tile

13 years ago

Hi,

I am working on repairing a shower surround in a house that was built in 1981. I believe that this tile is original to the home.

A bunch of tiles on one wall of the shower were loose and moved when you pushed on them. I removed all of the loose tiles carefully and put them aside.. basically a 5x4 ft area of one wall, but all the other tiles seem solid. I am hoping to re-install the tiles.

I'm told by our neighbors that the shower tiles are installed using an old method of a wire mesh material with a mortar or wall cement over it. So, the mortar/wall cement is now exposed and seems to be very solid, not crumbling or moldy, but just came loose from the tile for whatever reason.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to proceed. Can I use thinset directly over this surface or does it need to be grinded down with an angle grinder or otherwise chipped away? It seems that might be necessary to get the re-installed tiles on an even plane with the existing tiles.

All the tile repair stuff I'm finding on the web is geared toward tiles that are mounted on drywall or cement board...

Thanks for any help! Carrie

Comments (2)