SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hapahaole76

36' cooktop - bluestar, thermador, windcrest, KA

hapahaole76
13 years ago

Okay, I think I've made one decision... probably (like how I'm so certain lol) a Kitchen Aid 36" french door refrigerator. Now for the cooktop...

I can do a drop in or a rangetop, but I'd love to save a few bucks by getting a drop in so I can get my inset cabinets. I really want the cabinets. So... here are my thoughts...

Thermador - the low simmer on/off shut off freaks me out a bit, but if it's not a problem and it cooks well, then I think I can learn to be okay with it.

BlueStar - I saw a full range in the store the other day and really, that was too much oven for me. The all cast iron top was just kind of scary and I thought I might get sucked in our light our house on fire. Okay, that's a bit dramatic, but I just don't think I need all that. However, I do no mind the look of the bluestar drop in cooktop...with the black porcelain bowls (easier to disguise the grim than on SS I would imagine). My current crappy frigidaire cooktop is black and looks a lot cleaner than my friend's SS one. But, I'm worried about boiling stuff over and dropping stuff into the open burners and trying to figure out how to clean it... I really don't want to have to open it all up every day/week... anyone have this cooktop?

Windcrest - the highest burner is 18K, not bad and it's the cheapest at about $1300. The burners and grates are all super heavy duty. They're made in CA. I read a review that the flame is a little lazy. And it's not a well known brand...but if it works, then hey...more money for my cabinets. I really like the burner layout with the highest one in the middle.

Kitchen Aid - the top model has a 20K burner, but the cooktop costs more than the windcrest and the grates and burners feel a lot more cheapy.

Any suggestions?

I can't decide on a double oven either. I really would like the Chef (Not masterchef) Miele, but again, to get my cabinets I might have to go with KA or something half the price. Found an awesome deal on the single Miele ovens on their outlet site (1100 each) but they were only 208 volt, not 240Volt...told it's for Canada. Drat!!!

Thanks for any advice!!!

heather

Comments (10)