SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Fall Buffet - Think I need some help.

User
15 years ago

Please critique this. I still donÂt think it looks right. I bought the pumpkin tonight and the little pumpkins/berries. I thought it needed something to tie it together so I added the lace. ThatÂs honestly the only color I have other than white, which didnÂt look right.

I passed up a candle today that was three stacked colors of burgundy, rust/orange, and plum on the bottom. If I did use the hurricane with a candle that would probably work best in there.

IÂm open to suggestions. Nothing shown here is a must keep. The leaves with acorns are metal copper.

Please note that I will be painting at some point. I also will be buying a rug for infront of the door. Art will eventually make its way to the walls as well.

HereÂs some different shots.

{{gwi:1445704}}

{{gwi:1445705}}

{{gwi:1445706}}

{{gwi:1445707}}

{{gwi:1445708}}

Comments (27)

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

I like it a lot. Elegant and lovely. Burgundy is one of my favorite colors. The candle you saw sounds like it would be really pretty in a hurricane. Hope you get it.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

I like the pumpkin up on the books, just gives it more prominence. Isn't it funny how we can obsess over these vignettes and nearly drive ourselves crazy? LOL

Hopefully, one of the gals with more expertize will jump in here and help you with the decisions. I struggle all the time with trying to do my own arrangements.

You have a lovely home and beautiful things to work with, I'm sure all your family and guests will love it.

Luvs

• Related Discussions

Help! I think my Phal needs some 'tough love'

Q

Comments (4)
    Hi Molie, here's what I would do 1. Remove. The spikes they are almost done blooming anyway. 2. Remove all dead brown roots, not needed. 3. Give the roots a wash nder the sink(don't get water in the crown) then rince with some hydrogen peroxide. Get a smaller pot that can hold the roots comfortable. Repot using a mix for phals. Keep in a little lower light for a few weeks also water just enough to keep the mix moist. Since your going to put it in a pot and not a mount, you can place the orchid stright and upright, if it does not do so comfortably you can always use one of the stakes the bloom were tied to to hold it in place. I hope this helps. At lest this is what I would do. Velleta.
    ...See More

Euphorbia trigona (I think) branches falling over -- help?

Q

Comments (2)
    Mine does this all the time... I don't have mine planted in full sun and that is the problem I think... plants grown in full, all day sun (and re-exposed to winds as well) tend to be stiffer and more durable (though maybe a bit less colorful). Anyway, when mine is exposed to winds, many of the columns bend over.. I tie them up, but still a few find ways to bend over. REc: if you can, replant yours in full, all day sunlight. You may need to stake it up in the mean time.
    ...See More

I.D Help - I think it is some sort of Fir Tree?

Q

Comments (11)
    cedar?? ... fir???.. whatever .... at least you didnt call it a pine cone ... congrats... we will get you the rest of the way ... lol ken ps: i have about 1500 hosta.. national tours.. etc ... and around 500 conifers... you ought to see ... literally ... hosta peeps head spins.. eyeballs and all.. linda blair sorta thing... when i try to explain that all conifers have cones.. thats kinda the point of the term.. eh?? ./. and then try to make them understand that they are NOT all pine cones ... i may as well have morphed into historical ancient yiddish ... lol ...
    ...See More

Help me! I think I'm falling...

Q

Comments (37)
    OMG, I'm laughing so hard over here, chana. We are sister kitchen souls. Not two months ago my husband and I were not only completely decided on a gray/white/cream vintage kitchen with carrera marble island and backsplash and soapstone countertops, but we were at the warehouse choosing our slab. When it happened. We walked by a single lonely piece of the most amazing marble I have ever seen in my life. Rainforest Green in a relatively pale/calm pattern with this incredibly rich brownish-red vein running diagonally through it like its lifeline. We both stopped, gaped, and completely changed our kitchen design. We now have the RFG going in on the island and a new shallow parallel buffet area. Cream cabinets, wood floors, oil-rubbed bronze hardware. We even changed our range from a Blue-gray colored Bluestar to the new AGA Pro+ in Ivory (cream) and the rangehood from built-in undermount to a chimney in ivory so it would pick up the creams in the RFG. Our kitchen person just chuckled and said that when you fall in love with a particular stone, *everything* changes. The entire back and one side of our kitchen is almost all glass - the back looking out over a deck and tons of trees, the side glass opening all the way up to a vintage screened porch. So the RFG just made so much sense to us - it melts the line between inside and outside, mimics the leaves and the wood outside. I can't wait until we are done. In your case, with the stronger patterned RFG (or RFB even!), I think you could still do the Lacanche, as long as you kept cream cabinets to keep it light. I'll be following your progress to see what other decisions you make. Have fun with the re-designing! Here is a link that might be useful: Thread with pic of my RFG island slab
    ...See More
  • oldalgebra
    15 years ago

sheeshare,

I like all your fall pieces and the burgundy runner. I agree with purplemoon here, and think the candle would go well.

Here's what I'd try (and I do mean try, as I try a lot of things, and then stand back and realize how crazy they look and then try something else). I'd add something tall to the scene.
    I have a tall clear glass vase/candle holder that I fill with phony fruit or pine cones or other seasonal stuff and then I push in some of those bare, twisty skinny sticks that they sell at Michael's to give it even more height if I feel it needs it. (I saw it done at one of those home showcase events where different decorators do different rooms). Of course, tall grasses right from your yard would do well too. Just something to make your eye travel upward, as you have a beautiful mirror and a large area to added something that's a bit bigger.
    Good luck!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I will grab that candle next week when I'm out through.

I did think about something taller but then questioned if it would look dumb being taller than the lamps?
    I had intended to go to Michaels yesterday. They're opening a shopping center closer to my house. Turns out that store isn't finished. I was so bummed out.

oldalgebra - do you have any pics of your glass vase?

• bettyd_z7_va
    15 years ago

Sheesharee,
    Everything looks good except the mirror. It looks TERRIBLE there. So.... package it up and send it to my house and I will take care of it for you!!!!LOL
    Seriously, I like it a lot. I especially like the second shot arrangement best with the lighting from the third picture.

After looking at all of them again I like the arrangement in the last shot too.
    Betty

• dining_delight
    15 years ago

Shee, your buffet and mirror are beautiful and I'm especially liking the lamps you have. What you have done so far looks great but I agree with "o.a.", that it just needs something taller and larger (more substantial to add weight) in the middle which will be reflected in the mirror. The dish stem you have the fruit in seems a bit spindly on its own. I wonder if it was closer to a lamp, it might look more in balance.

If you are worried your lamps are too short with a taller arrangement, you can put some nice looking books under them or just under one and move the other lamp right beside it so they are on different levels. (I think Tamgypsy does that sometimes on her buffet and it looks nice) Or do you have other lamps around your house you can trade them out with?

I haven't worked with a scarf like that (very pretty!) but how does it look if you kind of "weave" it so that it is behind some items and in front of others - just throwing that our there, not sure about it at all. I'm terrible at giving suggestions or even visualizing things so I probably shouldn't have posted on this...I am totally "gotta do it, so I can see it"...so feel free to ignore this!

DD

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

DD, you definitely aren't terrible at giving suggestions.
    I thought you had some good ideas. I forgot to say in my first post that I really like the pumpkin on the books, I had my mind on that lovely scarf.
    Betty had a good idea on the mirror....except you should send it to me instead. LOL.

OA, I love seeing the tall sticks or reeds or whatever.
    I love that kind of stuff.

hugs, K

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for all the compliments and suggestions guys. I am currently looking for something different for in the middle but haven't found anything yet. Thought Michaels around here was to be open last weekend. I was wrong! The store looks very empty. Still not sure what I think about the middle item being taller than the lamps?
    Went back and bought that candle last night. It really smells good. Not even lit and I could smell it in the LR. I think it helps to add the color.
    {{gwi:1445709}}
    {{gwi:1445710}}

• luvstocraft
    15 years ago

The new candle is really pretty, picks up all the colors. I think your arrangement is looking quite elegant. You can even add more items as you come across them. Don't forget that even little plates or plaques look cute when propped on easels, and figrines are cute too. Just takes allot of tweaking to do vignettes, doesn't it? I really struggle with mine. Luvs

• judithva
    15 years ago

sheesharee, I do have a few suggestions, but I will take a picture of what I have in suggestion to you and post it, pictures are so much easier for folks to get the gist of (at least they are for me....blush).

• judithva
    15 years ago

Oh, I just found this in the "Galley" in the Home Decorating section of GardenWeb, it looks alot like your mirror, notice she used a large decorated plate, urn and table runner. Don't get me wrong I like the start that you have, but this is just something else to ponder when you aren't decorating seasonally.

I like the pic on the left, I really like some art on either side of the mirror either near the wall shelf like pictured or maybe a larger set of art without the shelves. Another neat look is having plates going around the mirror.

Here is a link that might be useful: One link where I found a mirror like yours

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

luvs - I have been looking at different plates but haven't found any that I didn't think were crazy in price. I really love.... I think it's judith's with the little grouse? Very pretty!

Judith - Yep that's my mirror! I've had a couple threads going on in the decorating forum about plates and lamps for the buffet. I will change the buffet out for some of the holidays but at the time of posting was looking for an everyday look. Was considering a red transferware plate then changed and bought a huge flower looking one that turns out to be too big for the spot. The flower one is now in my kitchen.

I do like the look of plates around mirrors or art but wasn't sure if that would be too much since the mirror is very ornate. ? I have next to no artwork up yet in the house. Been searching for some but nothing I want to look at day in and day out.

• judithva
    15 years ago

sheesharee, hmm, nope I don't have a plate with a grouse, but I would not mind it, I love birds.

You are right about finding the right art you want, since you will have to look at it for a while (unless you can afford to change it out seasonly or so)

I think the hard thing to balance is the large wideness of that beautiful mirror and the very skinny candlestick part of the lamps, you have to just play that right.

I have a large rectangular mirror too that is black and gold, but I like yours MUCH more!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It was Cattknap! I went back through my saved pics.

Thank you for the compliment! I had my doubts after I bought it and it didn't help that DH kept saying how ugly it was. Just last night he was blabbering how he really like it. :) He's funny like that. I think it just needed to be up on the wall for him to see.

So you think I should put two pictures on on the sides or plates?? I need all the help I can get.

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

shee...I remember the thread on your grandparents' buffet..and then the mirror. I love how you're setting up the buffet..You have gathered some nice things and I like the colors you have chosen. I don't know if it was my plate that I showed here with the 'Pheasant' on it..that you are referring to. I will include a picture. I did get it on ebay..and it was VERY cheap.. I thought it added a nice touch to my hall buffet all decked out for Fall. I tend to go a little overboard sometimes on the decorating...but then that's me, and the 'mood' I'm in..lol
    Here's a couple of pics below...
    jane
    {{gwi:1445714}}
    {{gwi:1445715}}

• judithva
    15 years ago

Sheesharee, I am not surprised that it was Cattknaps, she is a fab decorator, hopefully when she settles in she will post some here.

LOL, that is funny about your hubby, but a lot of guys are like that, they either don't care,or don't have the vision, then when it is up, they end up liking it.

As for your question of which to have up...plates or pictures. Either (to me) would work, it is really a personal decision. I think the plates or the art would get some visual interest to the walls, since all that is there is the wall color and mirror, I like to see some visual constrast between things. If you love transferware in plates, then that would be a nice classic look. There is black and white, red and white, blue and white, which I have found very affordably in TJ Max and such. I don't do EBay, but alot of people find vintage plates there, I am just too computer chicken to do EBay, I am sure I miss out on alot of wonderful things, but it keeps me from going into the poorhouse too LOL.

As for art, well that is another highly personal thing. Give it some time to look around and be sure of what you want, taking your time with decorating your home can be very rewarding, and save you money in the long run. But as for a suggestion, I happen to love bird prints, or botanical prints, so maybe something like that might fit in. I think it is a very classy look, without being overwhelmingly formal. IMHO

• judithva
    15 years ago

Jane, I must have been writing up my post while you had posted. Glad I checked back quick. Your buffet is very nice,a great mix of the natural with the elegant. I love the plate and the large pheasant! Your mirror really is pretty too, gosh I never find the really pretty mirrors (or at least in my price range LOL.)

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Thanks judith...actually the mirror was purchased from Bombay Co..about 4 years ago. At the time, they only had a few, then they were gone. I think at the time, they were buying less and less inventory. For several years, everytime I would go in there, I would find a mirror I could not pass up. I've got about 5 of them in different styles and finishes. I really miss that store..

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Judith  IÂve noticed IÂve become really drawn to bird pictures lately. ItÂs amazing how much my taste has changed in the past year. Before the only thing I really liked was floral pictures. Floral this and that. Too much of anything isnÂt good, IMO. I was thinking of doing plates around a picture in the DR so maybe IÂll aim for pics in the foyer. IÂm assuming one on each side toward the top? ThereÂs not much room on the left side. Had to put the buffet off center to leave enough room at the front door.

Slinky  I do remember seeing you plate!! Really like that one too. IÂll have to keep checking online. The ones I were seeing were $50.00 +. I like how you did your buffet. Love that mirror also. The lamp goes really well with it. I need to change my thought process. I like that lamp in the store but I probably wouldnÂt have bought it for myself because IÂm really drawn to super ornate things and itÂs like I donÂt know how to coordinate. IÂm probably not wording this right. I really do like your lamp! I just donÂt know how to mix things well in my own house! Guess itÂs going back to what I said above about having too much of the same thing..? I hope you get what IÂm trying to say.

I guess I have to start thinking out of the box. I hesitate to put items on there that are more for in a DR because itÂs in the foyer. Also keep looking at mine and wondering if itÂs starting to look cluttered or junky. So please please guys, if I ever post anything and it honestly isnÂt cutting itÂtell me! IÂm going to go mess around with it some more and take pics.

Just got back from a local flea market a little bit ago. I probably should stop going!! Came home with three bags tonight! Ha. Silver Christmas balls, crystal sleigh with pinecones, Christmas accent pillow, cool silver tree thing, three tier crystal stand. Etc. I think for now IÂm going to use that stand as my cake plate stand just to get a feel for it. CanÂt beat $5.00. If I donÂt have a knack for that IÂll go back to my original idea of using it for goodies!! Just wanted to share that. IÂm off to rearrange the buffet. Be back with pics later.

Cattknaps pretty sideboard
    {{gwi:1445716}}

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I just typed a big long thing and accidentally deleted it. Grr..

Moved around some things I had around the house.

I think if IÂm going to use a floral arrangement it shouldnÂt be these. ItÂs starting to look cluttered to me and IÂm not sure if itÂs because it really is or because the mirror is reflecting everything.

The flash is doing ugly things with the color.

Ideas or suggestions?
    {{gwi:1445717}}

{{gwi:1445718}}

{{gwi:1445719}}

{{gwi:1445720}}

• alex9179
    15 years ago

Hi Sharee, still playing with your entry? :)

I like what you are thinking. I have a couple of things you can try. First, do you have a bigger vase? It should be about 2-3 times as big as your gourd, so that you have a good staggering of sizes. Then, I would put a bunch of different floral types in it. A combo of the two you are trying out should start to fill out the arrangement, then whatever else you can find and stick in there. I think a larger variety of flowers will be closer to the kind of painting/prints you are already drawn toward. Don't forget to put some kind of trailing piece in there, as well. I'd like the tip of the floral grouping to be a little higher than the lamps shades as in cattknap's pic.
    Also, I would group your accents together instead of spreading them out across the buffet. I like your lamps on either end, the floral in the center with the gourd and those neat leafy things gathered next to the vase. Then scatter the other gourds you have in that tall glass piece out in front of the big one, cornucopia style, with the metallic leaves as a backing.

• judithva
    15 years ago

If you are liking Cattknaps look, then try to emulate it a bit more, for instance, even though the red cloth techichally does work there, a nice multi colored paisly with your matching colors would be a better flow, uniting ALL the colors in the scheme. Also bringing in a longer flow of the silk flowers like Cattknap has along the bottom on the runner, it brings in the flowers from above, linking the lower area, rather than just a clump of flowers on the bottom. Things like that we will be talking about in the classes.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll have to try some more things.
    I know I need a bigger vase but I honestly don't have one:)Was just trying to find stuff (which is very little) around the house.
    Currently I have the tall amber thing with gordes in the LR. I found different lamps at the thrift store sat. They look almost the same except the shades are a little bigger and have gold leaves painted in a vine around them. Like the size better.
    Thanks again for the suggestions. Hopefully I'll be able to get to a craft place sometime soon and pick some more stuff.

• Purplemoon
    15 years ago

Its interesting to see all the different photos and ideas, and learn what MY own personal tastes would be in something like this. I had never thought about it before. (is this a "lesson", Judith? I hope so.)
    I really like Slinkey's buffet, as all the stuff is rather low and doesn't detract from the lovely mirror, plus I like the one tall skinny lamp she used for height. She has such a mix of interesting things in her grouping, and that really appeals to me. So now I know if I do a tablescape, this will be the kind of look I would want to play around with. Tho I do like all the things on Cattknap's buffet and the way they frame her bird artwork.
    Thanks to all of you, I discovered something NEW about myself today.

hugs, Karen

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wanted to show a pic of the new similar lamps I bought over the weekend.
    {{gwi:1445721}}

{{gwi:1445722}}

I moved this to the LR for now. Still working on the buffet.
    {{gwi:1445723}}

• plainjane425
    15 years ago

Oh Shee...I love those lamps..they really stand out. I especially LOVE the shades on them, AND they really go well with your mirror too. As I'm looking at your grouping..I really don't think you need to prop up your pumpkin/gourd on the books. You've already got the height of the lamps and the floral arrangement. I'd try it by itself, between the lamp and the floral..and a little out in front of them. Now, on the other side, is where you can add a decorative plate on a stand. (this would add another shape to display) However, if you do add a plate, I would put that to the Left of floral..and slightly angled in and put the Pumpkin/Gourd on the right. Only because your buffet is on the right of your front door, and the plate would have a better focal point, as you enter from your front door. You can still do the candle..however, I'd keep it lower than the other things JMO.. :)
    jane

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Slinkey - Think I should keep the new lamps there all year round or just for fall? Even though I really like the other shades I think the size of these work better for the area?
    I took the pumpkin off the books and moved it. Like it better.
    So I should get the candle off the buffet? Don't get what you mean by keep it lower. I did find some inexpensive plates on ebay then. Not sure what I was searching under the other week. All of them were super expensive. I'm also assuming the plate should be smaller scale? 8"?

Oh, and our Michaels isn't opening until January. Blah! I may have to make a trip. They're probably about out of their fall stuff by now huh?

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions