SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bj_inatlanta

How to win disagreements with architect?

bj_inatlanta
16 years ago

We're in the early (schematic) design stage with our architect. We gave her a scaled drawing that needed a few changes. She proceeded to go through the usual submission of 3 options for us to pick. One was very much like our own original design; we picked it.

After some back and forth with small changes, etc, we met and thought we had agreed to a plan. Now she has returned it to us with some changes we do not want, reflecting things she just insists we must have (for her own reasons, not due to building codes). So, she makes changes and emails new sketches to us. We can't even see the dimension lines and things are changed we don't want changed, which she forgets to mention. It's like hunt and seek with a magnifier to find them.

It's really frustrating. I end up having to write a treatise on why we want it our way, including documentation showing we know dimensions, NKBA guidelines, relevant code, etc. We really want this architect because of her knowledge of building science and her ability to specify a quality built house. Her design skills--not so much.

Now I'm getting so stressed I don't know how to keep my cool. I'm just writing emails back saying "please put it back the way it was and here's why (in 2000 words)". Email is good because it lets us have a legally sufficient record of the conversations, so I actually prefer it. And, no, she's not working by the hour. She's wasting her own time; it's a flat fee. Any advice on how to get her to cut it out so we can get our house built before we die?!

Comments (42)