SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnalexandra

Help - can't buy screws for Dell's second hard drive

lynnalexandra
14 years ago

I hope somebody here can help. I am at my wit's end. I've been talking to 7 people at Dell - for just under 2 hours. I want to buy 4 screws for the second hard drive bay in my Dell Inspiron 530.

Here's the story: I bought a second hard drive from them this summer (along with a pci card and screws = bc their second hard drive bay doesn't include screws). The screws and pci card were mailed separately. I only just got around to installing these - and discovered that the screws were missing. Temporarily, I used 3 screws from the outside case and one from an old Dell. I figured I would call Dell and buy another set of screws. NO such luck. Spare parts says they don't carry them. Customer service said they're not responsible since I didn't check the package within 21 days - fair enough. But I'm happy to purchase these again - I'm not asking for a free replacement. Three different technical support people to try to locate the correct product - and two supervisors - all of whom insist they cannot sell just the screws - and they can't get me the parts number - and too bad.

I said that if I had removed these screws and misplaced them, couldn't I order more screws from them. They said NO. I might try a local computer store. I took this as far up as I could go. One supervisor sent me back to the receptionist - to start over again.

I am so frustrated. Buit I need to get the right screws. I think the ones I took from the outside case were the same size - but if I did something wrong - somebody let me know if I should stop before I use the drive (I haven't set up the drive yet).

The original order said scr: 6-32X1/4": HX:TF:ZPS:TRI-PT. That's the description. The item part number - 48480 - Dell said that number didn't exist.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Lynn.

Comments (11)