SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnny_gw

Think we got it right this time!

sunnny
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

It's been a very long time coming but we finally will close on the construction loan early next week. We were told 10-14 days once we sent in our paper work and after 17 days we found out no one had even ordered the appraisal so after a few phone calls and a few heads rolling DH got things in motion and we got a great appraisal today. We are SO happy! After 6 months in our travel trailer it's about time to get this baby started.

I've asked my children (ages 9 and 17) if they wanted to rent a house or apartment and they both said NO this is home for now... so we are actually having a great time. We're on a lovely lake, fishing, my son plays outside, rides bikes, plays on a HUGE dirt pile, plays hide-and-seek and we sit in the shade, reminds me of a quieter time and when I was a child. We are amazed because we feel closer as a family and have more good times than I ever remember. It's amazing what blessings we find in small places and how grateful we are to have this... compared to some people who don't have a build to look forward to. Since our home sold much faster than we thought we moved into our camper until we could either buy or build.

BUT... anyway. I wanted to share our plans. We took the much apreciated advice of several from here and designed a smaller, comfie type home. I read some time ago about a 'bare foot home' and that's ME!

My lovely piano will be in the front curved bumped out area. I am re-working the kitchn a bit and posted it awhile back on the kitchen forum and will do so again and received some good suggestions. I belive it was rhome who had the idea to make the pantry a step in so it would not seem so huge compared to the rest of the kitchen. I've tried playing with the IKEA website and still can't seem to make the kitchen 3D so hope ideas or suggestions are welcome. The plan is to have it semi-open with a full wall from the dishwasher to the end,(towards the front door) and open near the sink and bar area. I've asked DH about closing the walk-way with a type of counter/pass through so it's still open but not a walk through and not sure how that would work... more of a bottom hutch with an opening above. I REALLY wanted an island even if a small prep island with butcher block and would have loved a small breakfast nook. Is there any way I could get those in this area? I can borrow 1-2 feet from the living room and maybe a few inches from the bath behind.

Otherwise this is IT!!!

We will do scraped hardwoods, either a black/dark granite or possibly soapstone. I'm a bit OCD and don't know if I can be happy with the dings and scratches but love the look. We will most likely go with NXR gas range and Bosch DW and Samsung frige, and a sharp MW drawer. I'm uncertain about range hood. We do quite a bit of hand washing of dishes so will probably have a 60/40 BIG sink.

I'm an avid gardener and will have cottage style gardens as well as borders and shade beds. The front of the house will be in the trees with the glass room shaded. Not sure if I mentioned already but we are building a detached garage with storage and small tack room with a 3 stall horse barn which will be behind and toward the end of the house. DOWN WIND!! LOL I couldn't put a garage which would take away views from somewhere... so this was our solution.

We are SOO excited and thank you for your help over the past months!

Sunny

Comments (3)